Replacing Thermostat

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dd716ted

My mfg. home has a Coleman Furnace / Goodman Heat Pump system installed. Several years ago I replaced the manual heat/cool thermostat with a digital RiteTemp 6080 thermostat. Although the thermostat seems to work OK, it is extremely difficult to make changes to the desired temperature settings and the mfg tech support is limited at best. Can anyone recommend a Thermostat that can replace the RiteTemp 6080 that is easy to program and use (make changes to)?
Bill

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your thermostat. While I am not able to tell you exactly what kind of thermostat to buy I will help guide you. All the big box home improvement store have a lot of t-stat's to choose from. What i would do is go look at them and read the box's to see if you like the way they set up and operate. Every t-stat works different so what might be easy for you to understand might not be easy for someone else to understand. I will recommend a couple of brand's that i have worked with and know to be a good solid t-stat. First one on the list is Honeywell brand (very good product) second is White Rodgers and one more to check is Aprilaire. I would stay away from the cheaper t-stat's, I know its cheaper to buy but in the long run the better ones will work longer and are easier to use.
I hope this helps you.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
jpingram5

Go with Honeywell. Easy to use and setup. They have lots a choices too.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
DaveyB

I vote Honeywell also - they have good products, a good warranty, and great support. Also their documentation is very clear and easy to follow, even for a self-install!

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
dd716ted

I am going to try to get the RiteTemp 6080 to work but as stated earlier, the operating instructions are very vague and their support department hasn't responded to my emails.. The basic question is have is this.. If I want to keep the house at 72 degrees all the time.. what should I set the Heat setting at and the Cooling Setting at? I currently have the heat set at 68 and cooling at 75... When the temp drops below 68, the heat comes on but doesn't shut off until it gets to 75 and with the cooling it is just the opposite... Would a setting of 70 and 74 be better? or even 71 and 73? Any input would be appreciated...
Bill

Hi,
I just read the user manual for your thermostat and there does not appear to be any way to adjust the settings on the comfort points. I do know this, most thermostats will turn on and satisfy with in 1 or 2 degrees of the set point that you choose. Some thermostat give you the ability to adjust this range. From what I read there does not see to be a good answer to your question. I would have to say that you can just play with the set points and find a happy medium.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
flcruising

I would start by playing with the COMFORT LEVEL setting on page 11. My old RiteTemp has a TEMP SWING setting that works just like an anticipator like Bill describes.

RiteTemp 6080 Operation Guide
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]