Do I need more return??

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

PaulinDandridge

I have a 16x76 single wide. I have a Trane 2.5 ton heat pump located about 10 feet from one end of my home. The living room / kitchen / master bedroom at the other end of the house do not cool nearly as well as the rooms on the end closer to the heat pump. I have a 16 x 20 return in the floor in the living room, and I was wondering if adding another return in the master bedroom at the end of the home opposite of where the pump sits would help keep those rooms cooler. Thanks!
flcruising

It's possible it would convince more of the supply air to reach down there because of the negative pressure from the return. I suggest that you seal up as much of the supply duct as possible before doing this though.

Also, balancing the system is what most people overlook. It can do wonders to achieve temperature consistency. Basically it involves dampening the vents in the rooms that cool the best to force more of the air to the rooms that don't. I did some extensive duct sealing when I first purchased my home to help increase efficiency. I also switched most vents to curved louvers instead of the restrictive stamped onces. When this didn't help the airflow to the rooms that were the furthest away from the unit, I enlarged the vents by 50%. The results were perfect.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
jpingram5

How does the air flow feel at the vents in the rooms that aren't cooling as much. If it's weak then you might want to try what flcruising said to do. If they feel pretty good like the other ones then yes the returns down there will surely help. Having returns in the room help pull the humidity out as well.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80