have to replace my unit

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bnrboy775

Okay ill start with the story. Two days ago it was abnormally warm for this time of year 92 degrees intact. So on came the a/c and it ran from about 2:30 pm until 9 pm without shutting off once. I call the repair guys and they come out to clean our a coil, which I had already attempted to clean but it was just too dirty. When the guy got here to clean it, he says that isn't just dirt, that black mold and " probably the worst case he has ever seen". He also said our drain pan was rusted through and leaking. So he tried to clean it as best as he could and recommended that we the unit. I had already been contemplating replacing the unit anyway. Our home is a 1983 14x80 home currently with a coleman pres II gas furnace that is also as old. I am looking to replace with an out package unit and get rid of the interior until altogether. I spoke with him today and the price he quoted me was 6300 for a 3 ton heat pump unit. And he also quoted a gas unit for 5900, both are the installed prices, electrical, ductwork to connect to old system an both are Trane systems that come with a 10 year warranty. Does this price seem high to you guys. I have looked online and found similar units for around 2 grand but they were not trane units. I really don't want to drop 6 grand on this house. Any suggestions would be appriciated.
Bill

Hi,
It is a Big investment to replace your heating and cooling unit for your home. Its true that you might be able to find the same equipment for a much lower amount. You are not paying for just the equipment but for the installation for the equipment the warranty the new duct work and all the electrical wiring that is going to need to be redone. Most of all you are paying for the installer to put it in. A good installer will make it look easy. Trust me its not always as easy as it looks. Yes Trane equipment is more money than other brands, but they are a better brand than most. Now with that being said if you are not happy with the bid that you got, call another company and have them give you bid. A good company does not charge to come out and bid a job. I know of many times that people will get 3 to 4 bids. Make sure that you read each bid and compare them. I hope this will help you.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
bnrboy775

Thank you for your input. One company came and said it would be 6300 for the install and that covers everything; the electrical, the ductwork ( which they use solid not the flex stuff), and of course installing the unit. The unit would be a trane 3 ton ac with heat pump packaged unit. Everyone says that around here heat pumps are much cheaper then Propane. He said iunit popular unit around this area and we have a lot of mobile homes around. I am going to call two more companies on monday and get them to come place a bid this week. I have looked into the Goodman systems and have came up with mixed reviews on them so say good some say bad. I know that it will be this way with any brand of unit though. What are yours thoughts on Goodman units?
Bill

Well I have installed both Trane and Goodman equipment. Trane is a better Brand in my opinion. Goodman seams to be just a step below as far as quality goes. There is nothing wrong with Goodman. I am not sure how the warranties compare. Your salesman should be able to show you the difference in warranties. Something else to ask the salesman is what is cover in the warranty, and is labor covered as well? Hope this helps you. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Bill
bnrboy775

For the trane system the warranty covers labor for 1 year, certain parts for 5 years, and 10 year on the compressor. I just had another company come out and bid and he said that I probably wont be any better off going with a heat pump. I know how a heat pump works and I still think I would be better off with one, especially since the majority of our winter is spent above 20 degrees. Another thing I was just looking up online is a heat pump that is supplemented with a gas furnace instead of using electric heat. Has anyone on here used those? Do they help save some money? Or would I be better off just choosing gas or electric heat. And by gas I mean Propane.
Bill

HI,
I do have a Trane Heat pump and a 95% natural gas furnace. I would recommend a heat pump paired with electric heat or a 80% gas furnace(propane or natural). I don't know where you live but, where i live the power company offers a rebate on the purchase of the heat pump and a lower electrical rate on my power from Oct- Mar. The only reason i don't recommend a heat pump with a 90% or better furnace is the cost of the high efficiency furnace. The furnace cost is more than you will make up in savings with a heat pump. I live in the Nebraska and the winters get into sub zero temps and the heat pump with gas furnace work great for me.
Bill
bnrboy775

So I had someone come look at my furnace the other day and he said since the mold buildup was on it that that was causing the condensation to run to the outside of the drain pan instead of going into it. I know the drain is working because I have been under my house while the ac was on and there was a steady stream of water coming out of the drain tube. He said that what he would do in my situation he would just have someone replace the a coil and check the connections on the ductwork along with the double checking that the drain was working and not even replace the unit. Do you think that would be a good.option to take knowing that the current unit is probably 20 some years old? Or would I be better off just replacing the whole unit?