Furnace way to loud. Moving it back 3 feet.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mobile68

I had my 30 year old furnace replaced with a new one. The old one was extremely loud and I assumed the new one would be quieter. I was wrong.

Even at the lowest speed, I have to crank the tv volume when the furnace turns on, then turn it down when the furnace kicks off. I'm thinking of wiring in an extra tv remote to the furnace to allow for volume automation :mrgreen:

My furnace is in the hall and there's plenty of room to move it back 3 feet. Can an HVAC do this?

If so, I plan on baffling the space between the front of the furnace and the hall, while still allowing for proper air intake.
Robert

Hi,

I can't say if they can or not. I can say if they can, it will come with a high cost for labor.

I would first find a reputable hvac tech to see if he/she can determine exact reason for the noise.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Mobile68

Thanks for the reply Robert.

The noise isn't due to a malfunction, it's just the typical blower "wind" noise. It wasn't too bad when I had carpet throughout, but I replaced it all with laminate.

The furnace is in the hall and inset into a room that I've got mostly gutted. To reduce the labor cost, I will be removing the walls on the back and one side of the furnace. The techs will just need to disconnect the furnace, create a new vent hole, then put the furnace in place. Extending the gas line 3 feet shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes, and I'll be doing the underside vent work. My only concern is if code will allow a bend in the chimney. If not, I probably won't pursue it.
Robert

Call an hvac contractor and see IF it meets codes to do it and go from there.

Doing what you stated will reduce labor costs.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Mobile68

Robert, I found a post of yours from a few years back in which you stated:
Unimpeded airflow isn't the main concern. All furnaces have an exact amount of return airflow that is needed to operate as designed and lessen wear and damage to system.
It cannot be more or less airflow, but must be the same.
It was in regards to someone wanting to cover their furnace "alcove".

Anyway, I don't understand how a burner can have too much air flow. Doesn't it just simply draw the amount of air it needs?

In other words, an electrical analogy might be, "More available amperage is fine, as the circuit will only draw what it needs".

I ask as it's in relation to air flow and the sound proofing I'll be installing when the furnace is moved. That is, if code allows the chimney bend.

EDIT: Never mind. In a later post in the thread, you said:
In rereading my post, it didn't get worded as I wanted in that too much air is not a likelihood as that is less and not totally open as before.
Robert

Hi,

Don't remember the question, but it appeared to be concerning return air. Do not get that confused with combustion air to the burner.

Thanks,
Robert
Mobile68

Ah, I see.

Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
alex.hyden

That is very frustrating! Try this article. I found it very informative and helpful. http://bit.ly/HVACProblems

-Alex