Replacement Furnace

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Herm

I just bought a 2007 mobile home where the furnace is located right by the living room and is so loud when the fan runs that you can hardly hear the TV. I would like to replace it with a quieter model. Does anyone know of a brand, model where the fan runs quietly?
Robert

Hi,

The close proximity, thin MH walls and the MH duct systems all will make it hard to reduce the noise.

Make sure there is nothing wrong causing the noise first.

If all is ok, then will have to decide what route to take. Insulate walls, move furnace, replace with an outdoor packaged unit,etc...

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Herm

Thanks Robert, I know I would never be able to get a really quiet one, just wondering if the ones that are more efficient would be quieter. I believe the one I have now is 80% and I see there are ones out there in the mid 90's. I have a Coleman furnace and have been told these are towards the bottom and Millers are more high end. Does any of this make sense?
Robert

Hi,

You could completely replace it and may get a quieter one. The newer ones do run smoother and produce less noise if you wish to go that route.

Miller is no more high end than Coleman or Intertherm, etc... . They have all been around a long time and are the top brands for MH's.

They all have good and bad points and problems here and there just as all brands do.

I would suggest getting a dealer to see if they can get you to some customers homes with them installed and see what they sound like.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?