Adding an inline duct fan.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Someone worked on my air and heat unit who did a lot of horrible stuff to it that we are having to repair now. Because of the other things he did that even I, a woman who knows nothing about it, would have known better than to do; I now question this too. The front half of my house was not getting enough air flow through on a Coleman 7900 series DGAT090BDD. One of the things he did was put a fan in the duct work where the house comes together to pull air to the front too. It is wired in to come on when the blower comes on. It makes sense to me, but with all the other mistakes he made, I now wonder if I should just disconnect it while we are fixing the other things he did. Does anyone know if this will help or hinder the air not blowing to the front of the house good enough?

aa
archive

Actually it should not be necessary to have an additional fan to heat your home BUT the duct work has to be correctly connected to start with. I would check the duct in the part of the house that does not heat well and see if disconnected or if something has got into the duct and stopped the flow of air. Now the extra fan that he put in I hope is connected to blow the right direction.

You just need to take the time to check inside of the duct and that can be done with a flash lite and mirror to see some of it.

hvac1000
archive

Those are used alot to help pull air to parts of home where it is not getting good airflow.

In MH's, it is common to have one side not getting good airflow.

If it is installed correctly and in correct location, it can help.

A well designed duct system would eliminate this, but due to MH's being manufactured at the factory, this is often not done and cannot be done after the fact.

Check main duct trunklines as HVAC stated and go underneath and make sure crossover duct is attached and not kinked.

You can also sometimes place a small deflector down in duct to divert airflow into the crossover.

Getting a HVAC Tech with good MH experience would help greatly here.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Thanks! I checked the duct work, he did replace the flexible pipe with a solid metal pipe because at one time it had been crimped by animals and it is not obstructed. It is wired in correctly and blowing the right direction. I just wanted to make sure the extra fan wouldn't harm the central unit. At least he did something right!! Thanks!

aa
archive

You're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert