More Specific Ductless/Mini Split AC Question

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Ignited4Christ

Hi! I really appreciate your quick response to past queries and I have benefitted a lot from taking your advice(s) :-)

I am asking now about something VERY detailed, so I'll keep it simple and if you can help at all, please let me know.

We are installing several mini splits in our home. We already own the systems, actually, but we were only able to afford to buy systems that handle less air space per unit. So, we have 7 18,000BTU outdoor units and 2 indoor units (at 9,000BTUs each) for each outdoor unit. We got it at a bargain by purchasing it like this, obviously.

These are the questions. We are already going to have an electrician redo the breaker box because it was not done well. We will be eliminating 4 breakers since we will be removing our central ac. Would we ask him to wire in one new breaker per outdoor unit? How do we know how many units will be able to go on ONE breaker? I'm sure he would know, but I wanted to ask you before we paid someone to come out...so that way I know what I'm talking about :-)

I'll do my own research on this question, but I'd like to ask in case you know. The tubing that connects the indoor to the outdoor....does it handle any condensation from the indoor unit? Or will our installer need to be paid extra to install something inside to take care of any condensing water?

Thanks again for all your help!
Lisa S.
loveoldtrux

Like your username, Lisa!! Ignited for Christ . So good to know there is something out that is REAL to be ignited for!! I got ignited Dec 1973. Good luck with yer question!
Robert

Hi,

The breakers needed will depend on local codes, HUD codes and amps being drawn by the units. The electrician will know exactly what is needed.

There is condensation from inside evaporator coil and tubes between them will remove the condensate from inside unit. The installer will know what is needed and it will be part of the install.

PS- I also love your username.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Ignited4Christ

I am pleased with the responses and with knowing that others are on fire for Christ. :-)

It is a relief to NOT hear that I made a huge mistake buying these. We are sure it will work for our home better than buying larger units and only two or three of those because of the way our house is set up. Everything is very seperate and we don't think one large unit would cover the living space, and even if it did, we would need seperate units for the bedrooms our soon-to-arrive baby will use when he/she is older.

If anyone can think of anything else I might need to know with these, please reply to this post with all information at your disposal.

Thanks again, guys, for all the advices and for the encouragement! :D
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, we're happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?