LPG tank gauge

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Dean3

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this. My neighbor said to get an accurate reading on his 500gal tank his provider told him to "slam the cover(not too hard though)that will reset something in the tank". I thought the gauges were pressure. I can see where closing the lid hard might loosen a stuck needle in the gauge but had no idea there was any kind of moving parts(float or whatever) inside the tank. Does that advice sound correct or was something lost in the translations from them-him-me? Is it just a safer way to get the needle to move cause some folks hit the gauge too hard and break it? LOL?

I have always very very gently tapped the gauge in case the needle was stuck,if the above advice is better then it's high time I start doing it that way.

Dean
Robert

Hi Dean,

I do not know the answer to that. I would have the provider come out and do it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dean3

TY Robert. I'm not sure how often they would check it since I'm on "call-in order only" so I can buy when it suits me. I've never seen them check it but I don't really watch all that close when they fill my neighbor's.

Dean
Robert

I've never done what they said, so that is why I can't say one way or the other.

Maybe call and ask them yourself.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dean3

After a little more research--I've seen some floats and,since I learned the pressure in these tanks stays relatively stable unless near empty,it makes sense there would be a float inside to measure the liquid. A simple pressure gauge wouldn't change enough to measure liquid level until the LP was nearly used up. I believe the original advice is good,and,the next time I call my LP delivery driver's cell I'll ask him,his office may well know too but I'm sure he will know even better.

Dean
Robert

Sounds good Dean.

Thanks,
Robert
Greg

The ones that I have seen are a magnetic float. The gauge is not directly connected to the float, it makes a magnetic connection through the gauge mounting. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

Greg wrote:The ones that I have seen are a magnetic float. The gauge is not directly connected to the float, it makes a magnetic connection through the gauge mounting. Greg
My neighbor said something like that too,he was pretty unsure of exactly what they said,something about a "magnet and a circle or ring",they also told him "Not many people know that trick". Those covers kind of thump down anyway,I suppose they were telling him to thump it harder. I'll probably just try it,if I suddenly become several burning projectiles,it's been nice knowin' Ya Folks!!
Robert

Be sure to wave as you go by !!!!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert