Humidifying a manufactured home

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

gordo48111

We all are aware that there is no room in our furnace closets to install a humidifier. I have a pulse misting system in the box but have discovered that my ductwok is fiberboard (fiberglass). I'm wondering if introducing a mist directly into the duct will saturate/damage it. Any thoughts are appreciated.
"Man...that blowed up real good!"
Greg

Are you sure that you have a lack of humidity? I never really gave it much thought until recently. We have have had condensation on the windows and at first I was going to call Pella and let them know they may have a bad batch of windows. I did some checking and found that I was running almost 70% humidity with the heat on. I brought home an industrial dehumidifier from work and let it run full tilt for 3 days, got it down to 35% and the condensation problem went away.

That may not be your case, but check it first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gordo48111

My sling psychrometer shows 18% R.H. in the house. Any thoughts on my question?
Greg

Fiberglass should not be bothered by water mist, but I would contact the manufacturer of the humidifier and get their opinion as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gordo48111

I have contacted the manufacturer with no response. I'll try again, maybe someone else's e-mail this time. Thanks.
Robert

I would not introduce any water, mist or otherwise into any MH duct.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
gordo48111

Well, now I'm no closer to a decision than I was before I posted :?
Robert

MH ducts are thin and flimsy. Fiberglass found in fiberboard ducts can/will absorb water. Combo of water being absorbed into duct lining and great possibility of water leaking out into belly insulation.

Not worth the problem that would surface over time. IF you need a humidifier, get a portable one.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
1987Commodore

Since I had my 90%+ efficiency furnace installed, I notice that my place is quite dry also. I now have a portable humidifier set up that adds a gallon or so of water a day, and find it to help. I also don't use the bathroom exhaust fans in the winter, because almost as soon as I open the bathroom door after a shower, the room dries out. I have to brush my (Ok, sparse) hair pretty quickly before it dries. No window condensation here.