Water Leakage on top of Furnace

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

krystofurr

Hello all!

I guess I'll start with my setup:

1 year old Furnace ( Intertherm ) for Mobile 14x52
Standard All Weather Furnace Flue Cap. Picture below in link.
( http://www.amazon.com/Nordyne-All-Weath ... 430&sr=8-1 )

The furnace is awesome, alot more powerful than our old coleman one. I have had many many repair visits to no end on an issue with the flue. It seems to be when it rains water collects on the top of the furnace. If I'm correct it comes in through the cold air exchange part of the flue. The stack connection on the top of the furnace can be taken off and when I do this I can feel the water on the inside of it ( besides the pool that collects on the top ). I thought for awhile because the furnace was so strong with air intake that it was sucking in the rain but found later without it even being on, water was pooling around the top base of the stack. They have sealed and resealed this flue cap alot and I guess it's about time to change it out but I had a look at it as well and I honestly have no clue how water is getting in unless it's always raining sideways or upwards...I can take a picture if need be.

Chris
rookie35

I was just on my roof and noticed how close the cap was too the roof maybe in your case the splatter from the roof is getting inside the pipe. Maybe raising the pipe up a bit might help.
Just a thought.
Robert

Location of roof jack, wrong type sealant used are only things I can think of right now.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
krystofurr

rookie35 wrote:I was just on my roof and noticed how close the cap was too the roof maybe in your case the splatter from the roof is getting inside the pipe. Maybe raising the pipe up a bit might help.
Just a thought.
Thanks for the reply rookie :)
Yeah, I've thought of that possibility too rookie but I'm not sure. The roof is the old bowstring style and the cap must be at least a foot extended from the base.
It's really funny because sometimes when it rains it doesn't leak and other times it does. I really do wonder if it's the direction of the rain.
Robert wrote:Location of roof jack, wrong type sealant used are only things I can think of right now.

Thanks,
Robert
Thanks for the reply Robert :)

There must be at least 3 types of sealents on it now from them coming out so much . What do you mean by roof jack location? What is a roof jack?

I think what I'm going to do is go myth busters on it and take my hose and spray the thing down to see. Thanks for the quick responses all :P I'll come back to post results of my experiment...or disaster...either or
Robert

The roof jack is the flue roof cap and pipe. Is it above roof peak and located to prevent swirling breezes/wind and rain from being blown up into the roof cap.

I would clean off the sealants and reseal with a good sealant designed for that. We sell Hydroment Sealant for that.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?