flex duct into ceiling above furnace?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rookie35

Hello all,
I bought a used home and the furnace was missing from the alcove. The only thing in there was a flexible insulated duct hanging down from the ceiling. I Since bought a electric furnace with front grille air return. There are not any fresh air return grille anywhere inside or out. Is this duct supposed to be drawing air from the "attic" to keep it dry? I went on the roof and listened from every pipe to see if I could hear my wife talking into it with no luck. I did take a vent cover off and it went right into the "attic"(sorry don't know proper name.) I used the periscope and it looked like they insulated with some kind of foil on one side. If this setup is drawing air from the attic and ultimately from the outside, is this right or should I block it off. The year is a 2002 clayton excel.16x80.
Robert

That is most likely a VentilAire system connected to a roof jack for fresh air drawn in by blower motor.

I personally do not like the design, but leave that up to the homeowner.

I do not use mine in my own home though.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
rookie35

Thanks for the reply Robert,

You say you don't use yours. Did you cap the flex inside your house and leave the vents open on the roof? I think I have two vents just entering in the attic and one hole drawing air from them both(that being the one flex pipe hanging in the alcove), that way air circulates from end to end.

If I get rid of this system should I install soffit openings at the ends of the home?
I am thinking this setup will cost me more to heat since I will be heating a percentage of air coming into my furnace that may be 5 degrees f.

This is what I think it looks like in the attic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert

Hi,

I just folded it back on itself and choked it off with zip tie. How it works on yours depends on whether it is a ventilaire system or a blend air system.

VentilAire is a Nordyne and Blend Air is a Coleman system.

Yours sounds like VentilAire, but if so, you should have either one roofjack or two side by side.

The flex duct connects directly to the roof jack.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
rookie35

Thank you Robert for your time and knowledge,

I think I will shut it off in the winter and open it up during humid summer months.
Robert

Hi,

Just remember, it has nothing to do with removal of anything from attic cavity. Both systems do that, but the flex duct is for fresh air into home only.

Depending on where the flex duct attaches, could do more harm than good.

Thanks,
Robert