Leave AC on or off?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

CocoaJohn

Hi Folk's,
Just found this forum whilst browsing for info on mobile home AC. I have a 1300sq ft DW home in Cocoa, FL. I'm currently getting a new 4 ton 13 seer unit installed to replace the 13 year old Trane unit that's given up the ghost. I live most of the year in Ireland so only get to use the home a couple to few time's a year. My question is.....Do I need to have the AC running all the time when it's vacant or is it ok to leave it turned off when not in use?

John.
Robert

Hi,

In the Florida heat and temps, I would not leave it completely off unless home was completely empty.

High heat inside can breed mold, mildew, muskiness, etc.... .

I'd keep it at least 80* .

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flcruising

Doesn't 4 ton seem like a little much for a 1300 sqft home?

We are in Florida also. Ours is about 1620 sqft (though it is very engergy efficient), and we are at 3.5 tons and would do fine with a 3 ton after the upgrades I've done.

When my mother's package unit went out about 10 years ago, and she replaced the 3 ton at the recommendation of the a/c guy with a 4 ton unit (she had a home daycare), there was nothing but problems from the oversized unit in her 1400 sqft house. Her home was very energy ineffecient with single-pane windows and all, it just couldn't dehumidify. Cut another hole in the floor for a secondary return duct, but nothing helped. Seemed to run all the time too, but the unit health always checked out fine.

I know that wasn't your question, but it just struck me that such a small home would need such a large unit.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Robert

Maybe or maybe not, each home and situation is different. He didn't ask or inquire about that.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
CocoaJohn

flcruising wrote:Doesn't 4 ton seem like a little much for a 1300 sqft home?

We are in Florida also. Ours is about 1620 sqft (though it is very engergy efficient), and we are at 3.5 tons and would do fine with a 3 ton after the upgrades I've done.

When my mother's package unit went out about 10 years ago, and she replaced the 3 ton at the recommendation of the a/c guy with a 4 ton unit (she had a home daycare), there was nothing but problems from the oversized unit in her 1400 sqft house. Her home was very energy ineffecient with single-pane windows and all, it just couldn't dehumidify. Cut another hole in the floor for a secondary return duct, but nothing helped. Seemed to run all the time too, but the unit health always checked out fine.

I know that wasn't your question, but it just struck me that such a small home would need such a large unit.
Aaron,
Being from Ireland I dont know much about AC unit's as our climate here doesn't warrant having AC unit's in our home's. The unit at my home in Florida was a 13 year old 4 ton Carrier unit. The AC guy said to replace with same so that's what I did. Maybe I'm wrong on my sq footage but it's a double wide home with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and also has 2 fairly large living area's and kitchen. The house next door to me is slightly smaller and he also run's a 4 ton unit? I must investigate further concerning the sq footage of the home just to be sure. I was only over there last week and it didn't seem to have those problem's you mention of running all the time so that lead's me to believe there are many variable's to take into account rather than sq footage alone. I got a great deal on the unit...$1815 delivered to my door. My original question was indeed do I leave it on or off but that is now addressed as I've decided to rent the property for the next few year's. Thank's to you and Robert for answering with good advice...this forum is a fantastic resource of great knowledge and people...

Cheer's

John.
Robert

Hi John,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert