Review quote for new HVAC (Heat Pump)

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

AlM

Hi Folks -

While prices do vary from region to region (we are in SC), and while we do need 3 quotes (we're getting the other two) - we really, really, really like this guy - super neat, on time, well spoken... Having said that - the quote almost made us both fall on the ground as it's a lot. Like, to us, a fortune.

So, here it is:

1. 3 Ton packaged heat pump
2. Digital Thermostat
3. 2 service disconnects
4. Pad
5. All new Mastic sealed duct work using metal for supply trunk line and R-8 thermaflex for outlets and return.

Trane Model XL16C, 16.4 Seer, Variable speed blower, 2-stage compressor, 10 years parts/labor, .

Total: $11,795.00 (eligable for $1500 tax credit.).

So, while it's been 94+ for three weeks already (we are working on the place when it's 103+ outside....) - and while AC would be good as gold - this is a huge (huge, huge, huge) chuck of money. Huge.

I did search for complete installation quotes and didn't find much - so for those of you with experience replacing your entire system - and duct work - and with this exact make/model (ok, I'm kidding - that would be rare... ) please let me know what you think of the price. Does it match with what you've paid (if you've had this done)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Al
Robert

Hi Al,

I never comment on other hvac contractor quotes unless outrageous. I do believe that is way overkill unless you can easily afford it.

I believe you have answered that already.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
AlM

Robert -

We appreciate and respect your view on commenting. No, it's not something easily affordable for us - at all - so we'll have to hope the other two quotes come in at 1/2 that (or near there) as that's what we actually have budgeted.

We honestly (never have done a system before) didn't know if this was a standard price for our doublewide - with replacing the ducts at the same time. You are right - we should go with our instinct and realize it is high.

Thanks so much for the input - it's greatly appreciated.

Al and Shae
Robert

Hi Al,

That would be a conventional home type system and install and a good one. However, for a manufactured home it is on the overkill side and there are decent brands and little less bells and whistles for better affordability.

Here something I tell customers. The installer/dealer you want to do business with will have YOUR best interests at heart at all times. That includes your wallet limits and what is affordable for you.

He either did not care to know or knew and did not care. You do the math.

Also, unless you can guarantee no rodents under your home or inside the belly, then flex duct is not something you want or need.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
italianmomof4

New here. I work at an HVAC distributorship. Bottom line, that seems quite high to me given cost of materials and labor