Sealing air conditioner vent

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

debberlin

I have a old Home central air conditioner unit that is defunct. However the chipmunks have decided to use the vent for their new home. I would just like to disconnect the vent from the heat vent and seal it up- any ideas? It is already detached from the unit thanks to my little furry friends.
Robert

Hi,

Which vent are you referring to ?

Where is it located ?

Is it a vent or a part of the duct system ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
debberlin

I am sorry - I used the term vent when I should have used duct- the air conditioner duct that leads to the heating duct needs to be plugged up or removed to prevent the chipmunks from getting into the main heating ductwork. The air conditioner is beyond repair but I don't want to have it removed just yet. Most plumbers do not want to crawl under the trailer and do the work and no one seems to know if it can be done.
Robert

Hi,

Do you have a packaged a/c unit where all of it is in the outside unit ? It then has two flex ducts, a return to inside home return grille and a supply that connects to main home duct trunkline.

If so, you disconnect and place new aluminum or sheet metal over opening and attach with screws.

Place foil backed tape over seams and then cover all with mastic duct sealer.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
debberlin

Thank you- that is what I pictured- will contact several other people locally tomorrow and hope someone will do that for me. Thanks again- this website has been a great help to me! Deb
Robert

Hi Deb,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert