Air cooled package A.C.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Betsy

From what I can determine from info on the internet, I have an air cooled package A.C. unit. It is a large metal box that sits outside and has a big round fan in the top that blows air out. The only thing inside is the duct vents of course (in the floor) and a large floor grate where I change the air filter, where air goes into it from the house. It is strictly for cooling, does not heat. II run it 5-6 months each year and am just beginning my ninth summer of use. I have never had the machine worked on. My question is - does this unit require any kind of maintenance? Should I be having it serviced regularly? How often? Thank you!
Robert

Hi,

Yes, that is what you have and it should be serviced each spring before cooling system begins.

That is best to not get an unexpected breakdown in hottest part of summer and for best efficiency.

Every other year at the least.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Betsy

Thank you Robert. I wonder if after servicing my electric bill will go down. Hope so. I did not know if this type of machine needed routine service. Thanks again!!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. May help a little, but at that age and most likely a 10/12 seer unit and never been serviced or cleaned, probably won't be much.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Betsy

I think it's a 10 seer. Last night I noticed it was running non-stop for a couple of hours and I only keep the house at 82 so I saw that as a warning sign and turned it off. I'll leave it off until after the servicing. If i can impose on you to answer another question - what should the technician do? I'll hang around and watch to be sure he takes all the right actions.
Robert

Hi,

Clean evaporator coil, condenser coil, blower motor and blower wheel.

Check for duct leaks, tears, damage.

Oil motors if needed.

Check voltages, amps, line temps, superheat, subcooling, Delta T (temp difference between return and supply).

Check discharge and suction pressures.

Check for leaks.

Check for vibrations, noises, levelness of unit and wall t-stat.

Check for good drainage from drain line.

Check all electrical components and connections for looseness, corroded or burn marks and proper operation.

Thanks,
Robert
Betsy

Wow that's a LOT of checking. I had turned the A.C. off Thursday night because I thought its running non-stop for two hours was a sign that something was wrong and I figured turning it off would prevent further damage. But today I talked to someone who said theirs runs non stop lately too so maybe it's just the extra hot weather. The guy called me this morning to say that he can't come until Monday and my poor cat pants so hard it scares me (gets up to 95 inside even with all windows and both doors wide open, and stays in the nineties until maybe two or three a.m.) so I'm going to go ahead and turn it back on today, for my cat's sake if nothing else. It sounds to me like it has to be running for the service check anyway. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my questions. Hope you have a very nice weekend.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Those are the things I check plus probably a few more on a service/clean and check.

IF it is cooling good, then all should be working well enough to run it, though it may show on electrical bill. At that age with no maintenance though, a failure of a part could happen at any time.

95* is too hot for you as well as the pets.

Humidity is what causes the heat in the home, the temp is what you feel. As it runs, it removes the humidity, which lowers the temp and puts you and pets to feeling cool and in your comfort zone.

Late afternoon and evening and into early morning is when the muggy, sticky, high humidity and heat is worst.

So they will run longer there and if it is old and home is not top notch with windows, doors and insulation, plus shade, they will run for extended times .

2 hours is ok.

Thanks,
Robert
Betsy

The "house" is not of quality construction - a 2001 Fleetwood bottom-of-the line SW. When the AC is running the areas around doors and windows (even though I added the secondary storm windows) is several degrees warmer than other spots. Roof shingles are dark so no help there, the ceiling is hot. If I could afford it I'd get a white metal roof put on and I bet that would make a big difference. It seems like the components of the envelope, everything the roof, walls, doors, and windows are constructed of, absorb heat all day and then it takes forever for that heat to dissipate out. Last night I turned off the AC around 8:00 and left it off all night so at least it got a break. I'm thinking about continuing that practice. I slept well without the ups and downs of temperatures from the cycling on and off of the AC. Hope to see the repair guy early tomorrow, then I'll know for sure what's up. You are a truly nice person to share your time and expertise with the rest of us.
Betsy

P.S. I am humbly grateful.
Robert

Hi Betsy,

Hopefully the repair guy can figure it out. Happy to help, you're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Betsy

He cam but did not do nearly the checking you said he would. For $75 I got one pound of freon and checking to be sure there were no leaks. I tried yet again to use a larger font in this message but it doesn't work for me. I can barely see this size type.
Betsy

Oh I see, the font size only affects what the reader of the post sees, it doesn't help when composing.
Robert

Hi Betsy,

I said he should, not would. IF it needed any refrigerant, then there is a leak somewhere. While there he should have did what I posted in order to know what it was and wasn't doing.

Find a competent and reputable hvac tech for future needs.

He just got $75 for nothing I hate to say.

Thanks,
Robert
Betsy

My next checkup will definitely be with another company. I used the one that did the original installation simply because I didn't know anyone else.