Furnace Question

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

LAMIGRA

My question is about a Coleman Furnace, but not about service/repair, so I _think_ this is the appropriate place for it.

OK, I'm between Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX, and it is HOT! At 5:57 PM on May 26, the temperature _in_ the house (28x60, 3 BR, 2 Bath) is 92! I took the 2 swamp coolers off and replaced one of them with a solar power roof vent fan. I have another to install where the other swamp cooler was, just haven't got that done yet...2 years and counting, but I have an equilibrium problem, so I don't get on roofs any more...

But I digress....I came home tonite and the furnace blower is running. No A/C connected/installed...3 room A/C units in the MBR, K, and mudroom...

So....my question is...Why is my furnace blower running? Thermostat (standard analog device) is set to minimum, so its not like its trying to ignite, so what's happening here?
Brenda (OH)

does the thermostat have both ac and heat settings on it? does it have fan settings of both automatic and on?

I suspect either the fan switch got bumped from auto to run...

if the thermostat is still wired like the swamp cooler is there, it may switch the fan on when the upper temperature is reached, like it would have for the cooler or an ac unit. why it hasn't been doing it the whole time is a mystery, unless the upper temperature limit (temp that the cooler or ac unit would have come on is set in the ninety degree range...?

something quick to check until more experienced minds chime in.....

lol

Brenda (OH)
LAMIGRA

"does the thermostat have both ac and heat settings on it? does it have fan settings of both automatic and on?"

Nope, just a hi to low range. Another device for the (former) swamp coolers, which I have *just now" set to "OFF", but I don't see how they woulf be connected????
NMBowtie

What is happening is that there is enough heat building up to trip the fan switch in the furnace, therefore turning on the blower. The switch is temperature activated, but it doesn't know if the heat is coming from the furnace burner or an outside source. There should be an on/off switch on the front of the furnace that you can use to turn the blower off during the summer months.

Why did you remove the swamp coolers?
Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
Robert

What is the model number of your furnace ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?