TN Flooded Mobile Home - Rehab

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TN Flood Victim

Where to start?
It's a '99 Fleetwood 16' 76' and is gutted at this point.

One big question is the HVAC and replacing the central chase that runs the lenght of the home.

How and with what?
Robert

Hi,

If replacing all the duct trunk line, I would suggest changing over to a conventional home type duct system rather than going back with same flimsy aluminum duct that is there now.

Otherwise, would need to have a sheetmetal or hvac company make up a new trunk line of same size to go back with.

Where are you located in Tennessee ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
TN Flood Victim

Nashville/Antioch

Took about 38" of creek water and god knows what else inside the home. Got an any idea what that might cost?
Robert

I'm north of Memphis, our county got hit hard as well, but we were not in a flooding area where we live, though lot of flooding close by around us.

Cost would depend on who you got to do it. What's there now is flimsy aluminum usually 4" X 14" give or take.

Get some estimates, but be careful as these events bring out those who have no morals and are leeches who thrive on those who are down and out.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
TN Flood Victim

Thanks for the response. We've been blessed with volunter help from that loacl community and are now ready to level and straightent it then floor and wall board.

So one can go back with a more conventional home type ducting system is what you saying.

What are the odds the the external compressor unit is OK?

Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

IF the outside condensing unit was flooded or under water, replace it. Yes, you can go with a more conventional duct system, just have to change the way the duct system is installed as the newer way is larger and won't fit inside the belly area.

Packaged units (all in one) outside are good for this and you can install ductwork below the belly.

Would need to install a return in home and insulate all water pipes without duct inside the belly.

IF doing all you've stated, I would replace water piping with pex and then insulate it. Easy to do with home opened up.

Just one way of doing the duct as an example.

Thanks,
Robert
Greg

If you are going through all this work, replace the sub floors as well. Partical board turns to sawdust once it gets soaked. I know that's not what you want to hear, but It's easier now rather than after the new walls are up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Arlo

You might consider that if the flood happened once it might happen again. If you replace your condenser you might consider building a raised platform to put it on. In the Outer Banks all the units are placed on a 4x4 platform built out of salt treated deck boards. Four 4x4 posts set in the ground hold up the units. You ought to raise it above the flood level you experienced. Sorry you are going through all this.
Robert

Hi,

Also as an update to my last reply, if going with a packaged unit and new larger convention ductwork, you can go with conventional housing units as well.

Would not need a mobile home unit.

Thanks,
Robert