Can I change to a 3.5 ton unit?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

pastorjakes

Hi, I have a 16x80 mobile home. Usually during 11:30am - 4pm or so the a/c unit runs but not cooling. Gets cold after the sunset. I really do not have any shade outside. The sun rise in the east... my backyard. Then at noon sun is right over top side of the home. Sunsets in the west... front-side of the home. then eventually the a/c start to cool again. A Coil says 36000 btu (3 ton unit). Can I use a 3.5 ton unit? The summer is really hot when my wife cooks but usually start to really heat up after 11:30 am. Please help, I need some advise so we don't have to go threw this when summer hear rise. Oh yeah, the ends rooms are pleasant normally . The kitchen and living room joins, really get hot there. All the registers blow the same from one end to the other.( no signs of being stop-up. The furnace work well during the winter months.
Robert

Hi,

Has a/c been serviced and cleaned ?

Could be dirty, low charge, no shade, poor windows, doors, insulation, to name a few.

A Manual J Load Calc will tell whether it is correct size or not.

Go to www.hvac-talk.com and look in tool bar for HVAC CALC, that is their residential manual J type load calc for homeowners.

Shade around outside condenser would help , just be sure it has enough clearance for airflow into the sides and out the top without restriction.

Several feet all around is best.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
pastorjakes

Thank you Robert. The condenser has clearance all around the four sides. No shade tho. What could i use to clean the A Coil without recover and unhooking the coil. The A Coil can use some cleaning. I will run the garden hose to wash out the condenser... :?
Robert

Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?