Question on A/C system

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jcarr492

Our Nordyne outside unit went out two summers ago and we have been using window units since then. Our heat works fine, but the compressor went out on the outside unit. Its a 5 ton. We called around for quotes and the cheapest we could get would be 4800.00 for a whole new system. What I'm wondering is...could we save money by just buying an outside unit? I hate to buy a whole new system when our air handler is working fine. Is there anything wrong with buying a used one? I found a Trane 5ton on craigslist for 500.00, its 4yrs old. Still under warranty. Would an a/c place install a used one for us? Since our central air went out, we've notice cracks forming in our dining room ceiling too. Could this be because we're using window a/c's or because of the house shifting?
jcarr492

or would it be possible to just replace the compressor on it?
Robert

Hi,

You can replace the compressor, replace condenser with new or used. Be careful on buying used online, good way to get ripped.

Some companies will install a used one and some won't.

Unless you can get a condenser with same refrigerant and seer rating as the a-coil, you will also have to replace the a-coil.

Would be best to replace a-coil if there will be more than 5 years difference in age between a-coil and replacement condenser.

Cracks in ceiling of mobile homes is fairly common.

Usually caused by settling of home and/or vibrations because mobile homes move.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jcarr492

Any round about idea on the cost of replacing the compressor? Not the labor for it..but buying a replacement compressor? and how would I find the information on the compressor I would need to look for to buy?
Robert

Hi,

I will need the condenser model number.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?