Is it possible to extend the furnace vent on the roof?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

katiedawnk

Ok, so I'm sitting here in about 4 foot of snow (and it's still snowing). Last weekend I had to get a neighbor to get up on the roof and sweep the snow away from the vent because my furnace went off. Now I'm just waiting for the snow to end and hoping the snow doesn't clog the vent again before i can get out there.

So the question is: can the furnace vent be extended so that it's higher?

Thanks, katiedawnk in Gettysburg PA
Greg

Hi & welcome. Yes, you can extend the pipe, But you are curing a symptom not the problem. I know you guys are not used to all the snow, but your roof is really not designed to hold that much snow.
If you can find a roof rake, once you get it cleared off it only takes about a half hour to keep the roof clear with 6" of snow on it. I try not to let more than that accumulate on ours. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
katiedawnk

Thanks for the info. Do you have to get up on a ladder to use a roof rake, or does it have extensions on it so you can stay on the ground and use it? And where do I get one??

Thanks,

katiedawnk
Greg

Mine has 3 extensions, 20' total so I can work from the ground. Around here many hardware stores, Ace etc, Lowes, Home depot and others have them. I have also seen them on Ebay. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

What is the furnace model number ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Arlo

Re: The roof rake, I had never seen or heard of them here in VA until recently.... They sure don't sell them in the stores down here! Miles Kimball catalog carries them, item # 332581, it extends to 20 feet long. www.mileskimball.com It costs $54.99. If you let a bunch of snow sit on your roof you will develop leaks, not to mention the possibility of roof collapse from the weight.