Thinking about a heat pump.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Hello,
I have a 1971 Marlette mobile home 12x63 with an expando off the living rm (about950 square ft total living space I guess) and using a Goodman electric furnace. (don't know model#)
I live in upper East Tn where heat pumps are the norm here so the winters are not too bad.

I had the Goodman electric furnace installed about 5 yrs ago and they installed it outside with the air conditioner unit. However this furnace has been nothing but a head ace and for the past 5 yrs. I have had so many components replaced to just about buy a new one. (about $600 worth) It burns out circuit breakers, sequencers, wires,everthing but the heat element and that will probally go soon too. (The repair man says the newer Goodman's are better now.) I had my circuit breaker upgraded earlier this year also.

The repair men always suggest a heat pump. I'm worried that this may not work and cause my light bill to rise because this is a 35 yr old home with 2 inch walls, aluminum siding and insulation you can spit through. I had new thermapane low e glass windows installed recently as the originals were totally gone and new doors too. I've owned this mobile since new and have kept it in excellent condition. Block underpinning and underneath is in great shape.

My neighbor has a 24x50 double wide 10 yrs old with a heat pump and his bills are at least $50-100 less a month than mine during winter and he keeps his place a lot warmer than I do. But he has 4 inch walls and better insulation of course. I don't know anyone one else with a mobile this old who has a heat pump and if it has helped to lower heat costs to ask. My highest heat bills average $200-265 a month from DEC to Feb then they go down.

If I were to invest in a heat pump I would use an electric furnace as a back up to work with it.
I want to make the best decision. Any advice?
Thanks,
Marg
archive

Heat pumps do work and will save you money but always remember this fact. Any heating/heat pump or air conditioning unit is only as good as the company that sell it and installs it for you. This is something that comes up all the time when people ask for a recommendation on what is best for them to do.

As far a equipment goes Goodman is OK but there are also other brands to consider. I would get at least 3 estimates from different company's. You should also have a manual J done to determine exactly what size equipment you need. These items are a minimum must do to make sure everyone including yourself is on a level playing field.
The manual J should be done for free as part of your estimates from the different company's. Remember if any company does not or will not do a manual J and they tell you that they know what you need without it is probably telling you a lie. Harsh words but the truth hurts. Any body can guess-tamate the size of equipment but you want to know the facts.

hvac1000
archive

Good advice and nice to know that I can actually save with a heat pump!!
Now, finding an honest installer.... Not too many around here. I can tell some interesting stories dealing with air-headed heat/air businesses. I'm in no hurry and will make do with this electric for this winter anyway. In the mean time I am getting all the info on heat pumps so I know what to be aware of and what questions to ask.
When they see a lady, they sure can lie. All suggestions will help me greatly.
Thanks
Marg