programable thermostat

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jbaker

wanting to install programable thermostat in home. my question is-we have 2 seperate units : a selfcontained a/c outside and selfcontained heat inside. both have thier own thermostat (side by side on wall). will i need 2 programable therostats or will 1 control both. with both being indepentant units,we have had both units come on at same time(gotto love the weather in lower alabama) from what i have read the instructions on the thermostats say they will control both heating and cooling but the wiring diagrams seem to be for one thermostat. i dont have the make of both models but will get if needed, just a general question on installation.thank you james baker andalusia alabama
Robert

Hi,

You can install one to control both. Will need to get one that is battery operated or run a common wire from transformer secondary-common side to the t-stat C connection.

Should also get one with a lockout feature to prevent both units from being on at same time.

Also, be sure you have a close off damper where the supply duct from a/c unit connects to main home duct and also underneath the the inside furnace.

These are needed when you have a self-contained a/c unit outside and an inside furnace.

I would get a Honeywell or White-Rodgers t-stat and going to an hvac supply would ensure you get correct one for what you have.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?