Window AC question

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JD
Site Admin

Hi all,

I am not an hvac person, but a customer has asked me to install a window air conditioner through their wall, which is something I have done several times. But while shopping a unit for them, I noticed that there are Through Wall units and Window units. Reading about them, I see the through wall uses a framed box that the unit slides in, it is heavier, and it has a better energy efficiency rating. Other than these differences, is there a reason not to install the much cheaper window unit? This is what the customer wants.

Frigidaire 10,000 BTU Through wall Room Air Conditioner Model# FAH106N1T (EER 9.4), that sells for $499

Frigidaire® 10,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Model# FAC107P1A (EER 10.8) that sells for $208?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

Hi JD,

Nope, that's about it in a nutshell. Some people even buy the cheaper window a/c's and then do a DIY install through wall by building/framing their own box.

If you do this, place it as high on wall as possible.

MH windows are generally flimsy aluminum and through the wall is more sturdy, more secure from burglaries/thefts and less rattles.

I would do the self build though and place window unit through wall.

If money is a real issue here, a window shaker will suffice.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Thanks Robert,

I kept looking at these two units and was thinking I was missing something. $200 vs $500 same BTU.

We installed all new vinyl windows for this customer last year. So when she asked about a window AC, I told her we would want to put it through the wall. Actually, the unit will be pretty nice. She is a senior who can have her bad days. The window AC we are looking at has a remote control and a microbial filter.

We are installing it about 54" off of the floor. This will make it about 84" off of the ground in her carport. I wanted it high so no one would hit their head on it.

Thanks again,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

Hi JD,

You're very welcome.

I had misread your post and see now you were asking if the cheaper window unit would be ok for through the wall.

Yep, just be sure to seal it good to keep condensation from dripping down into wall cavity.

Those $500 through wall unit assemblies are good for nonskilled, need it done quick, money is no issue type folks.

Can be done just as well for a lot less $$$$$$, but the salesman won't tell you that,LOL.

If you don't know how to, don't care to do it and can afford them, they're good.

Haven't met anyone willing yet,LOL.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?