Blower wheel removal - will not come off

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kanekz

I am trying to replace my blower motor, but cannot get the motor shaft out of the blower wheel. I have been doing some research and seems that there is a hub on the back of the blower wheel in which i could use a puller. This is a one time thing so i really do not want to purchase a puller. I haven't tried putting PB blaster yet, but will do so and try to turn the shaft with a crescent wrench (read this somewhere else). Others also suggest sanding down the shaft. Any other tips???

I am new at working on hvac systems, but have some mechanical sense due to working on cars and etc. I appreciate anyone's help on here. I have read the furnace blower article, but I have not removed the whole assembly out. I'm thinking i may have to though to make my life easier.
Robert

Hi,

Definately remove the assembly first. Then sand down end of shaft, squirt PB Blaster into wheel hub set screw hole, turn shaft with crescent wrench while turning wheel in opposite direction.

IF that does not remove it, hold a 2X4 against end of shaft and tap board with hammer to jar it loose.

Sometimes the hub/wheel puller is only option though, but usually one of the above gets it out.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kanekz

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually able to get it off today before reading this post with the same instructions that you posted. I did not take the assembly out though, but it would've made the job easier.

My problem now is I'm not sure which wires from the motor are supposed to go to the capacitor. My motor is on its way, but not sure if I will be able to follow the wiring schematic.

The broken motor probably had either 2, 3, or 4 speeds because a few wires were cut or not hooked up. There were 2 wires from the motor running to the run cap, and one wire going to a relay or switch (something like that). So the blower was probably running full speed???
Robert

Have you removed the assembly yet before reinstalling new motor ?

A few screws along bottom side flange on each side and she slides right out, takes about two minutes max.

Look on new motor to see which wires go to run cap, there will be a small wiring diagram on side of motor.

Usually two browns or one brown and one brown w/white stripe.

Did you order a new run cap also, you'll need one ?

If you ordered motor from us, give me the motor part number and I'll tell ya exactly where each wire goes.

Do you have heat only or heat and a/c ?

What is furnace model number if not already listed ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kanekz

Robert

Well installed new motor in this morning and wired it up before i saw this post. The previous fan was wired for only one speed, and the new motor had a 3 wire method....brown to cap, purple to cap, wire tap, and brown/white was just insulated off. Ran the black wire...which is high speed since i use this unit mostly for AC. I would have ran other wires for different speeds, so i could use the heater for low speed, but did not know where to put those wires. So I just let it be and its working now!

The motor required a 5mf cap but i got a 7.5 by accident.....still runs though, but is it safe too??
Robert

Hi,

No, run caps must be correct mfd rating, so need to shut down and get a 5mfd installed.

Thanks,
Robert