New Unit

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Linda

I was visiting my aunt this past weekend and her home was cold. We live in Texas and we have had a heat wave that is not letting go. I ask about her ac unit she has a all in one unit outside. The ac and heat are all in one and the ducts run under home and hook up to the duct work already under there. I just assumed we had to have a down draft and split unit. Now I am looking for this type of unit and was wondering what brands to look for and what is a heat pump? I keep running into that and have know clue what it is. I want an all electric unit for heat and air. Any help?

TIA,
Linda
Linda

Also forgot to ask about heat strip heating? I have seen that in some ads. Have no clue and I at least want to understand before I go calling everybody.

Linda
Robert

Hi Linda,

They are called Packaged Units or Self-Contained Units. You can get one with heat strips inside the outside unit or get one with gas burner inside outside unit.

With gas burner it is called a Gas Pack.

You can get them just straight air outside and still have furnace inside for heating.

IF you go this route, be sure to have close off dampers installed under hte furnace and at location where supply duct taps into main duct trunkline.

Heat Pump means your a/c unit runs year round and in winter for heating, a reversing valve reverses the flow of refrigerant.

At that time, the evaporator coil and condenser coil switch places with each other.

In summer, it goes back to normal a/c mode. They are good depending on where you live and how cold your winters are.

Packaged Unit

Packaged Unit w/Heat Strips

Packaged Heat Pump

Gas Pack

Gas Pack Heat Pump

Intertherm, Coleman, Miller, Goodman are most common for mobile homes.

You can use other brands for conventional housing, but it will have to have a blower motor for circulation that is compatible for mobile home duct systems.

OR, replace entire ductwork with normal conventional home ducts.

Use ACCA manual J Load Calc for unit sizing and Manual D for duct sizing if you replace it as well.

Find reputable, qualified and licensed hvac contractors with mobile home experience.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
gregkabob

HI Robert!

I'm thinking of doing the same, installing a Packaged unit as it is just too noisy in the house. I've looked at some of the site you mentioned (Goodman for one) and have a question on CFM.

I know that in a MH the air flows a lot more. What kind of CFM would I be looking for vs a house unit? I seen a Goodman unit that was a two stage and believe it was 800/1250. Is that the rating for a house or MH.

Thanks for the incite

Greg
"Everyday Above Ground is a Good Day"
gregkabob

Robert,

Can you answer my question?
"Everyday Above Ground is a Good Day"
Robert

Hi Greg,

Been away on a mission trip to Ohio, just got back today.

Please start a new thread with your question to keep each post/thread separate.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?