Mice in the heating ducts and furnace

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

athousandmilesfromnowhere

I would like your opinion concerning my rehabbing an old mobile home, a 1976 Bendix 14 x 70. no one has lived in it for last 6 years. i got sick last fall, hospital stay cost me $60k, im looking for a cheap place to live. mice definately have been in the house, unsure of how long and how many, ive cleaned up inside twice and its not in too bad of shape, put out traps, only caught 4 in last 6 weeks (im still mostly recovering from being in the hospital) anyways i can smell a pretty funky smell now and again think it is coming from furnace and possible heating ducts... do you think it would be worth my time and efforts to either 1) replace furnace and have ducts cleaned professionally so i can use the trailer to live in or 2) remove furnace and ducting underneath trailer, seal off as many holes i can find and use the trailer for cold storage or 3) burn the trailer down for the insurance money (there is no insurance, just a joke) thanks for your help, michael
Robert

Hi,

Have all inspected by an hvac tech, then either repair/clean furnace or replace it.

Also, clean/repair duct or replace it.

Be careful cleaning up, old mice poop carries a bacteria dust that can be fatal if breathed in.

Best wishes for full recovery from illness and hospital stay.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
athousandmilesfromnowhere

thanks for the quick reply, yes, i know about dangers of cleaning up after mice, i try to be careful, sprayed water with bleach mix on all surfaces - walls, countertops, carpeting, flooring, etc,

though i havent tried yet, my distance from town makes it difficult to get an hvac or any other professional to come to my location

i have been told that no matter how well i clean or have some one else clean i will never get all the stink and other problems with mice taken care of... well... out in the country we always have had and always will have problems with mice... the trick is to try to minimize it as much as possible.

what i need to know is is it possible for the ducting to be cleaned well enough by professionals so that with the furnace cleaned or replaced i or others can live inside full time in relative safety?

thanks again, michael
Robert

Hi Michael,

Furnace = yes, it is possible.

Duct = maybe, but from what has been stated, probably not. Mobile home ducts are flimsy aluminum that does not hold up well and often comes with holes/openings or they arrive within a year.

Often times, due to this and extended damage, the thoroughness of cleaning that would be required would destroy the duct in doing so.

So, it would depend on the duct, the nastiness involved and WHO did the cleaning.

If in the end, it didn't work and it probably would not in this case, you would be out the money and back at starting line.

With that said, unless unsafe to use from mechanical standpoint, I would have an hvac company clean/service the furnace.

Then, if able or hire someone to make up new duct trunkline(s) (one for single wide, two for doublewide), wrap in moisture barrier covered insulation and install below the underbelly as in conventional home.

Remove old duct, thoroughly insulate water lines and reseal the underbelly tight.

Wrap new duct insulation/moisture barrier with thick chicken wire to help protect it from mice.

Be sure to strap it up or support it also. Make up the new duct to correct duct size for home and not old mobile home duct sizes.

This will greatly enhance the airflow and will avoid future need for a MH duct rated blower motor motor.

That is not only what I often suggest and advise, but will also be doing on my own newer home soon.

It sat empty for 8 months, then was found to have a brown recluse spider infestation after I bought it.

Has been empty for 2 years/2months more, LOL.

Sooooo, I ain't fooling with the mousey mobile home ducts.

Of course, it helps to have been in hvac for 30 years.

Anyway, you won't regret it and now is time to do these things if financially and physically able to do so.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?