Building Plenum

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Crazy X

I am having the same problem with mine. It seems as If every time I go underneath the home I find another leak.I have a 1987
palm Harbor and I want to replace the trunk line. Is it possible to build a plenum and feed each register Individually ?
Robert

Yes, but I would suggest getting an hvac tech to assist in this who has MH hvac experience.

I don't get into detail on these type things as it can make or break a system and not being there would be wrong to advise on.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
CraigE

Robert is right about seeking advice. I researched on mine for 2 months learning and reading. Just when I thought I had enough knowledge to begin I would run into another snag. I finally went to the local AC supply house and just talked with them and showed them my plans on paper. I got so lucky the owner lived in a mobile home, so he knew what we all are going through with the crappy duct system. He tweaked my plans so that there would be equal flow from all ducts with dampers and correct pipe sizing. The local sheetmetal shop built my new plenum.

When I got home with a full truck load of elbows, pipes and "Ys" It was overwelming. I thought what have i got myself into. With the help from a good friend, wife and kids we got it installed. It took approximately 1 month from start to finish. Mainly working on it at night. I will admit the flow is so much greater and my blower it not as loud since it is not having to push the air so hard. During hot summer my AC would run almost constant but now it actually cycles.

The bad part of doing it yourself is that everthing you do under the house takes 10 times longer. Not having the right tools under there with you and the constant crawling in and out to get them. I tried just leaving tools under there but they seem to get left on the opposite end or they get buried in the dirt.

I do not mean to be negative but man was it alot of work. There was not a part of my body that was not soar.

I did go some extra steps though. After running all the pipe I applied mastic to every joint and seem and then wrapped them with tape also. Then installed insulation and then wrapped everthing again with the underbelly plastic and installed hangers.

Hope some of this helps
Jack of all trades and master of none.
Robert

Thank you Craig. Welcome to HVAC 101, LOL. August will mark 30 years for me and I turned 50 on June 17th.

That is one of those tasks that is a DIY'er, BUT we do go through a lot of training and endure a lot to do what we do.

I try to help those who are willing to put in the homework time to appreciate the end result.

The best help I can give is the advice to seek help and do the homework.

Not an easy task, but one that will pay for itself in the end.

Great job on your new duct system.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?