Coil cleaner

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

garrett_reukauf

Robert, In one of the previous posts' you mentioned 'coil cleaner'. Do they make a cleaner specifically for this. If so where can I find such a thing and how much should I expect to pay. If not, what is a good way to clean the coils without bending the fins all to heck. Also, on our heat pump unit (dont have the info on hand) there is a drain pan so to speak under the coils on the inside unit. Everything drains fine and the unit as a whole works perfectly, but I notice there gets to be a pinkish colored slimy silt in the pan. I know it has to do with dust and stagnant water but is there a way I can keep this stuff from forming? I mainly concerned about it clogging up the drain tube that runs to that outside, causing the pan to overflow and that water gets down into the electrical system, which wouldn't have wonderful results.
Thanks. I would have just sent you a PM, but I noticed the PM feature has been turned off on the site now.
Garrett
Robert

Hey Garrett,

Mark sells the coil cleaner in aerosol cans or you can get it at local hvac supply.

If buying local, be sure it is non-acidic evaporator coil cleaner.

You can get condensate drain pan tablets to help with bacterior.

Also, pour a mixture of half cup water and half cup bleach in pan.

Clean a-coil once a year with coil cleaner.

Then at beginning and late end of summer, tape a wet/dry vac hose to end of drainline outside and pull out any trash.

Drainline should be 3/4" cpvc pipe.

You can call Mark toll free at 1-877-263-7860 to order coil cleaner and the tablets.

Tell him Johnstones has them (condensate tablets) IF he hasn't stocked them yet.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?