Breaker tripping

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mjpogue

OK......Here is my issue.

When my condenser attempts to kick on, the breaker automatically trips. I have already replaced the contractor, so I am figuring there is either a short to the compressor or maybe the capacitor is bad (I am going to check this tomorrow).

Does this process sound right, or should I be looking elsewhere???
Robert

Hi,

The breaker in the disconnect box on the wall or the breaker in main service panel at power pole ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mjpogue

Good Morning-

The breaker that is tripping is in the main breaker panel. I did some additional recon to the unit, which is making me thing that it is the compressor. Here is what I did.

I have two wires that originate from the compressor (yellow and black). These wires connect to the contractor at the opposite poles. When I put my meter on them to check for resistance, I get a beep which indicates a short. This leaves me to believe that the compressor is bad.

Also, I checked the capacitor and it appears to be fine. No swelling or shorting between the terminals. Interesting though, it is not registering any voltage (I assume it does not have the opportunity because of the issue described above.)

What do think??? I really appreciate all of your help!!!
Robert

Hi,

What about the third compressor wire ? Due to cost of compressors and/or condensing units/evaporator coils, you should get an hvac tech to diagnose it.

Might save ya some dollars.

Where is the short ? Were the wires being tested disconnected ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?