re attaching ducts opeings to floor

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Brenda (OH)

Hi!

I have two heating duct openings, where registers covers would go, that have detached from the floor of the MH, and need to be reattached or rejoined to the above floor somehow. there is not a lot of rim on these, maybe 1/2 an inch, and it is very bent.

Basically, in one area you can see the ground and daylight and the duct opening is about 4 inched below the MH floor . It is big enough that a cat came into the MH through it one day and I had to chase it out and put plastic and a brick in the heating duct to shut it off, and a board inside to discourage the cat. (yes, I do seem to attract cats) that place has the belly wrap and insulation missing, so it will be easy to get to to work on it, I just am not sure how to fix it. Do I cut the duct and put on a new end piece or something? straighten the existing stuff and reattach it from below with 1/2 screws? add a strap before doing the belly repair?

the other duct opening is in an area that the belly wrap is intact, and I would like to try to fix it from above. I will be removing the carpet, so I could cut and lift a piece of flooring if needed, but that sounds like a lot of work lol. it is the more banged up and deformed of the two duct openings.

of course, first I have to fish out all the toys. would a shop vac work? I have found handfuls of toys under the other registers in the rest of the mobile home.

legos, mcdonald toys, coins, and tiny cars... in every space I start to work on.... including inside the window frames.... they must have been really busy kids lived there.... lol

Brenda
Yanita

Hi Brenda,

I am going to move this topic to the Other HVAC questions forum. Follow us there.

Thanks ~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Brenda,

I wouldn't use a vac, may tear it up not knowing whats going to go through it.

You should be able to see how it ~should~ be at the duct boots/collars.

Then you'll need to be imaginative if wanting to DIY.

You can try rebending/straightening and reattaching with screws.

You may need to buy some aluminum flashing to modify with.

Once you get it back in place with no openings, you can seal the seams/joints with foil tape or even better, Mastic Duct Sealant.

Then add insulation and seal up belly if needed.

Just be sure there are no openings and duct remains same size.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?