Can a power surge kill a unit???

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Spazmama

Hi, we had a fire in the walls of our home, and while we got the fire out w/o much damage, our ac unit has not been working as it should and did prior to this...

My husband turned off the power to the house--and all this in a rush/panic--and didn't turn off the ac unit inside first. (I know, who would...) In any case, we live in TX, and it is HOT, and while the unit is now cooling, it just doesn't seem to be blowing enough. The past 3 days since the fire, we have had it up to 95 degrees inside--but only in the late afternoon after the house has baked a bit, while the ac was running and running and running.

I did take off the top of the outside unit, and sprayed it with a hose, and shop vac'd all the leaves and sand off the floor inside it. But, I still don't think it is blowing like it was, but more so a trickle out of the nice and cool vent. I just cleaned it this morning, but am afraid that by this afternoon it will be baking again, and we will have no time to call an ac repair guy before they close for the weekend....not to mention we don't have the $$--

I am just at a loss. We have insurance, and it is covering the damage to our house....and I am just wondering if somehow this incident has ruined our ac??? It worked just fine prior to the fire.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Spaz
Robert

Hi,

Is the air coming out of the registers the same "amount" of airflow, just not as cool ?

OR, is it just as cool, but not the same amount of airflow ?

Turning the power off shouldn't hurt anything as long as it was left off for a short while.

Go to top blue toolbar, click on hvac, then click on articles and see our articles on cleaning your a/c and cleaning your furnace blower.

They also cover cleaning the a-coil.

That may help, but if it was cooling fine before, probably not the problem.

Did any wires get burned in the walls that go to furnace ?

Is the outside condenser fan motor and the compressor BOTH running ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Spazmama

Believe it or not, cleaning the outside unit WORKED! :O) Oddly enough it all happened at the same time as the fire! Just coincidence I guess! I am very happy about that! I was just afraid that we would spend the weekend w/o ac....which, here in TX is not a good thing! Thanks for your help, but we are up and running again! Wow, I actually fixed something! :O) The ac has maintained the temp I have it set at all evening! :O)))) YEAH!
Spaz
Robert

Congrats, glad it is working. may want to get some coil cleaner and clean it good to avoid future problems.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?