Evaporator Coil Cleaning

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

tact

I was reading the "Cleaning Your Air Conditioner" article, http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ioner.html, and find it to be very informative. I have never cleaned an evaporator coil before. It was my understanding that the coil should be cleaned from beneath the A-frame. It appears to me from the article that you can actually clean the coil from the top of the A-Frame by utilizing a "foaming aerosol spray" and then starting the AC which condensates the dirt from the coil to the drain pan below.

Is this an effective way of cleaning the evaporator coil? If so, it looks like something I can be confident about doing on my own.
Robert

Hi,

Yes, it is very effective and it has been used by me for almost 30 years, which led me to write the article for DIY homeowners.

You clean the evaporator coils from the air in side.

IF you have a downflow, then clean A- Coil from top. IF you have an upflow, clean from below.

You can use a sprayer to carefully spray some water to help with rinsing, then a/c condensate will finish rinsing it well.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tact

The system is up flow, so I'll have to access from under the A-Frame. The way the heat pump is set up, there is no access from the return box plenum. However, I noticed that the pics from the article and looking at my evaporator coil that an A shaped access cover attached by screws exists. Can I safely remove this access cover and proceed to clean the coil from there?
Robert

Hi,

Yes, remove VERY carefully and do not bend or distort the shape.

Next, do not use sprayer with water and do not use foaming cleaner..

Being first time, too easy to allow it to get on controls.

IF you do use them, use something to "catch" any drippings.

Use SOFT bristled brush with vacuum to gently clean outer surface.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tact

I would remove the access panel and carefully use a soft bristle brush parallel with the fins and vacuum up the debris and dirt. How would it be afterwards, if I were to spray the foam cleaner to the top part of the A-Frame and allow gravity from the top part of the coil to the bottom part to clean the coil? If this is not OK, I will spray the foam cleaner from below the A-Frame. My thanks in advance.
Robert

Hi,

Spray coil cleaner, non-acidic, non-foaming, non-rinsing from underside/air in side of a-coil.

Use of brush is correct.

Then run a/c and allow the coil condensate to rinse the coil .

Thanks,
Robert
tact

I figured spraying from underneath the A-Frame is the proper way for cleaning. All control areas will be protected from the spray cleaner. I'll be doing this project when the AC can be run with appropriate outdoor air temperatures.
Robert

Hi,

That's correct.

Thanks,
Robert
tact

I cleaned the evaporator coil as per your instructions and feel confident it was done properly. I went one step further and garden hosed the coil from underneath for a more thorough rinsing after running the AC for thirty minutes in 75° weather. That coil cleaning article proved to be the inspiration to do this on my own. Thank you Robert. And now onto the condenser coil.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. The garden hose can bite you quickly, be very careful there as any water that gets down on controls or motor will ruin them.

The cleaner is designed to be rinsed well from the condensation as that coil will sweat gallons per day.

Condenser Coil Cleaning:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ioner.html

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
tact

The evaporator coil is located right atop the air filter rack and below the ECM blower and controls. I simply placed a plastic drop cloth on the top of the A-Frame and rinsed from underneath. I did this added rinse because the AC will not be up and running for at least a couple weeks and wanted to make sure it was fully rinsed of the chemical.
Robert

Hi,

Ok, that's fine, wasn't sure where motor and controls were located.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert