Should we replace?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

wannadance

Thanks for your info but do you have a model no. for a coleman or miller furnace that is 90+ efficient? All the ones we've checked on say they are 80 which is what ours is now. Do you recommend we keep this or replace? I'd hate to spend money to replace if we are going to get same results as now.
Rod

Wannadance,

Miller M3RL Series available in a 80K Btu & 60K Btu. Both rated at 90%

As for Coleman I believe they are DGA series. I would have to look up exact model #'s to be certain. Robert may know the model #'s
I think they have 90 & 92% models.

I'm sure it goes without saying but have your furnace serviced, keep it clean, keep the filter clean, make sure the crossover duct is in good shape and has no holes. Make sure your floor registers are unubstructed. These will all help to keep your furnace running as effecient as it can.

The M1MB90 you have now is 90K btu x 80% = 72K btu output.
The M3RL80 is 80K btu x 90% = 72 K btu output.

The output will be the same but you are burning about 10k btu/hr less or about 11% less fuel.

Does an 11% reduction in fuel usage warrant a new furnace?
It depends on how much fuel/gas you use, the cost of the new furnace & how long you plan to stay.

Rod
Robert

Hi,

Just want to add that one of the biggest mistakes homeowners make often is trying to decide on furnace before finding an installer/service company.

Find the hvac company first and through that relationship, with their consultation and advice, then decide on a furnace if needed.

Coleman 90% will be DGAD, DGAE and DGAF series.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?