Kerosene Odor?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Hiskid

We run #2 with hotshot normally...At the coldest day last month we added about 12 gallon of kero till we got a new batch of #2 and hotshot..Within the day I started noticing a fuel smell in the registers so I opened the door an noticed a more pungent fuel odor than before. The cabinet is not totally airtight so I imagine it had a bit of air come from the burner area before but not that noticeable...There is nothing leaking and the flame looks great, burning clean...I never burned kero before so I am wondering if it is more aromatic spraying into the combustion chamber that the fuel oil is...Thanks..God bless...Kid
Greg

Hi & welcome, Kerosen does have more or an odor to it, But unless there is a leak somewhere you should not be able to smell it. Double check the lines coming up to the burner for any signs of leakage. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Hiskid

Hey Greg, I wiped all over with a clean rag..Everything is tight..Funny thing, I never noticed much of an odor before when I open the door..
DigitalDreams

I've ran fuel oil based furnace for close to 20 years.

Using kero ,#2,#1,and even occasional well strained used motor oil from my cars.And the only time I have ever smelled it is when I either had to bleed the pump after a filter change, or when the chamber has gotten very cold due to delayed ignition from either improperly set igniter or gunked up nozzles.

Which has caused it to backfire due to excess fuel in chamber which can be smelled for a while if you have one of those spring loaded peep holes like my old miller has for viewing firing chamber.

But usually when this happens it lets out a pretty good rumble kinda like a old diesel truck trying to turn over on a cold day.
Hiskid

Here's the scoop.. I finally figured I'm going to pull the burner after finding more more dripped fuel under the airbox..Oil was all over the place inside the burner...Even the lower part of the fiberglass gasket between the burner and the case was filled with oil..I figured the pump shaft gasket was leaking but it was ok..Evidently the nozzle was gummed up and somehow some spray or droplets got drawn back inside..Put a new filter and nozzle in and it fired up after a few tries. Good flame, didn't even have to mess with the air as I just saw the tips. Been firing off an on for 3 hours now..Seems ok..I never have a nozzle problem make a mess like that..Thanks..God Bless You..K