Chimney Sweep - how often?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Sally

(I hope this is the appropriate "forum" to post this question!) I have a wood-burning fireplace which is only used, at the maximum, off and on for six weeks a year. (I live in South Georgia). This MH is 15 years old and was in quite a state of cosmetic disrepair when I bought it, although it appears to be very structurally sound. I burned wood last winter for @ 4 weeks, off and on, and have just needed to start burning again this year. The fireplace is located in a corner, almost exactly on floor level. My question is: how often do I need to get a professional chimney sweep out here? The home was severely damaged five years ago from a kitchen fire, and I won't want to risk another fire episode occuring from creosote buildup. I'm pretty much a DIY-er, but I don't know that I want to risk doing THIS job myself. The consequences of a fire are a little more serious than choosing the wrong paint color or not shimming a door frame correctly. Any suggestions?
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
Robert

Hi Sally,

Find a very reliable and reputable chimney sweep and ask them would be best.

That and others locally with usable fireplaces.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?