Wind Blowing Pilot Out

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

reezer

I recently replaced the thermocouple in my Coleman furnace via this website ( thanx) but the wind in Amarillo is a bitch. When it gusts it blow out my pilot and I must wait until the wind subsides to relight it.
I climbed on the roof to check it out and it looks like an adequate pflumm or chimney or whatever. It looks like a tin can hourglass. I can take & upload a picture if it would help.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thank You!
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

Does it have an all weather cap and is it above the roof peak ?

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
reezer

So so long to resond.
It has this cap on it, and the whole thing resembles those old pot belly stoves, only like a tin man <g>
Sorry, I will climb up there and send a pic of it. Whatever it is, it is not sufficient for West Texas!
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

Is it extending above the roof peak ?

What is the furnace model number and brand ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
reezer

Yes, above the peak...

Coleman
Model # - 7966856
SN# - 078570802

Thank you!!!!

Angelia
Robert

Hi Angie,

Does your crown and cap look like this :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/media/i ... -6941C.jpg

If not, I would see if yours is removeable and if so, remove and replace.

If not removeable, then you'll need to replace roofjack.

For a new roofjack, you measure from top of furnace to the roof to get length needed.

That may or may not resolve it. Otherwise, call an hvac tech out to see about changing over to electronic ignition.

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks
reezer

Yes, I believe it does look like that. It may be a little different... should I go look and get my own pic?

Can you explain what exactly a roofjack is?

Thanks!

Ange
Robert

Hi Angie,

IF you needed to get a new crown and cap and yours was older one that couldn't be removed, you would need the entire roofjack.

That is the entire flue piping and crown/cap from furnace up.

IF yours is like that one, may be best to get an hvac tech to see about changing over to electronic ignition.

Thanks,
Robert
reezer

Sorry for all the questions...

So what do you think could be the problem, specifically? Are you saying the crown/cap is leaking, split or otherwise damage/wore?

When I go up there again, what kind of wear/damage should I look for?

Thanks soooo much!

Ange
Robert

Hi Angie,

IF it is all together and straight and appears ok, may just be too much wind.

Sometimes the only cure is to change to electronic ignition.

Shouldn't be anything within 2 ft of it also like chimneys or other flues/pipes, etc. .

Thanks,
Robert
reezer

What is your estimate of an electronic ignition installation? Is it something I or someone I know can do, lie the thermocouple replacement?

Thank you very much.

Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

That would require an hvac tech to see if it was feasible and to get correct parts. It would be pricey to do with parts and labor combined.

You could also and for less have an auto relight module kit installed that relights the pilot for you whenever it goes out IF it is being blown out.

That is first move, to ensure that it isn't going out due to a component malfunction.

Thanks,
Robert
reezer

The crown thing and all looks fine. The only time it foes out is during high wind and it is a new thermocouple, so I am inclined to believe electronic ignition would fix it. Other homes in my area use that kind of ignition. I might have a HVAC guy check it out for me.

I have a handy guy I know who helped me with the thermocouple. Is it feasible for us to install electronic ignition? Is the auto relight more feasible, labor and cost wise?

Thanks
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

The electronic ignition would cure the problem, but is costly and involves new burner/ignitor, new gas valve, ignitor module.

Would be best to have hvac tech for the investment.

Relight Kit doesn't cure it, it just lights it for you every time it goes out.

That is cheapest and could be done DIY.

Automatic Pilot Relight Kit # 785-001 can be seen on left side :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

To order, call Tuesday thru Friday after 9 AM CST to

1-877-263-7860 and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

Ask for Mark and tell him you'll need some wire and terminals for it also. Just tell him I sent you.

Thanks,
Robert