mystery holes in ceiling???

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

riven1950

I have a 1989 Horton. It has a electric furnace / central a/c system. Has an outside a/c unit and the evap. coil mounted on top of the furnace in the center of the home. Ductwork is in the floor...down through the center.

My question is: In each room there is a plastic vent in the ceiling with very small openings similar to a speaker grille. The vents are approx. 4x12 , have a thin plastic liner on the attic side attached to the grille. the grilles are mounted over a opening into the attic, no ductwork or way to open and close. The roof on the home is about a 3/12 pitch osb with 3 tab shingles. The is a ridge vent in the center of the home, no other gable or soffit vents that I can find. The mystery vents mount over the hole opening into the attic, one in each room.

My questions:

What is the purpose of the vents?

Seem to be a way to really lose heat and especially cooling....can they be closed up?

My h/a guy says he sees no use for h/a and they must be some sort of ventilation...

Can take pics if neccessary!!

Thanks,
Ted
NC Coast
hvac1000

Take pics. This could be interesting.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
riven1950

Will try to post some pics tonight.

Ted
NC Coast
riven1950

I just posted 2 pics of the holes under albums, interior projects. Hope you can find them. As you can see there is a name, "American enery systems" on the cardboard baffle in each hole.

I called the number....it is a non-working number. From the image on the baffle ( little man holding dollar bills and saying "thinking" ) I assume it is a " energy saving system " , although I have no idea how.

I have removed more of the vents now and several are sealed up with cardboard and tape, which appears to have been done some time ago, maybe even from the beginning...go figure.

I am considering filling the holes with FG insullation, sealing the vents. To replace the air flow to vent the attic I would add a small gable end vent on each end of the MH.

What do you think? Ever seen or heard of such a system?

Thanks,
Ted
NC Coast
hvac1000

This set up you have is a new one on me. I never saw anything like that in a ceiling before. I cannot imagine what it would actually do.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
riven1950

Thanks for looking! If I don't find otherwise I am going to close up the vents.

Ted
NC Coast
Robert

Hi Ted,

I'd guess it is there as an option for upflow furnace if customer so desired.

If so, should be sealed or removed if a downflow is installed.

It definately is NOT for attic ventilation.

I'll see what we can find out for sure and let ya know.

For now, I'd cover them.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?