water in vents

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

srhasty

I am having a problem with the condensation getting in the vents and around the blower motor. I have had the evap. cleaned and still the same problem. I know the drain box is clean have done that several times i know the water is being sucked into the center of the evap. causing the water to get everywhere on the blower motor and the elect. connectors just trying to figure out how to get the water to go down the drain system instead of the floor.... Scott
Robert

Hi Scott,

If you have an electric furnace with a-coil at top of furnace, do you have a trap in the drain line as close as possible to the a-coil ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
srhasty

yes the drain is about 1 inch from the coil but water doesn't it make it to the drain looks like the blower is sucking it down the center could the a-coil be to close together not letting the water run down them right and is the acoil adjustable to fit the drain pan better it is right against the inner edge of the box the is only about 1/2 between the inner edge of the box and the acoil
srhasty

also today the temp in the house will not drop below 79 but the air coming out of the vents is 45 not sure why the temp in the house is not dropping but if i set the temp on 79 shuts off when when i set the temp to 78 it runs all the time .....Scott
tnt17

sounds like your thermostat is close to a vent or vents? do make that drastic change of running at 79? or your saying at 78 it runs all the time, which means it's not sensing the temp drop until at a certain lower point. i have the same issue, however at 74 it shuts down by 9pm or so, and if set at 73 it runs a few more hours, and part of house will be at 69 by that time(even though thermostat 50 feet away is at 73).
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
srhasty

the thermostat is in the same place it has always been but i do believe i just found the problem when the unit is on the acoil is not getting enough air flow through it causing it to create a vacuum on the drain pan sucking the water out of it i just need to get the coils cleaned again or replace them but then again that is what i am just thinking the problem is ...Scott
Robert

Hi Scott,

IF you have an electric furnace and the a-coil sits above the blower motor, do you have a "trap" installed in the drainline as close to a-coil as possible ?

Go here for our articles on cleaning units :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Read "cleaning your air conditioner" and "cleaning your furnace blower" .

That will cover cleaning units, then ensure you have a trap in the drainline if you have a-coil above blower motor.

You also tape a wet/dry vac nozzle to end of drainline where it exits home and pull out any blockages.

If all those combined, does not resolve issue, then you may have an unrepairable a-coil or may need an a-coil cabinet.

Could also be a wrong blower motor, but if this just started recently, that would not be a possibility.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
srhasty

thank you again for your advice i will try to clean the acoil again which way works better the aerosol or the gallon to can spray on it which way would you suggest.....Scott
Robert

Hi Scott,

I recommend a wand hand sprayer and non-acidic evaporator coil cleaner.

You still have not answered about the trap.

Does your drain line have a trap installed in it IF your a-coil is above the blower motor ?

Thanks,
Robert
srhasty

if your talking about the valley area in the front of the acoil of the lowest part where the drain hose hooks up yes it does but if that is not what your talking about then i am not sure
Robert

Where the drain line connects at the drip pan, there needs to be a trap in the drain line if the a-coil is above the blower motor in a downflow system.

It can be anywhere in the drain line, but best to have as close to a-coil/drip pan as possible.

Thanks,
Robert
srhasty

your talking about something like a peetrap on a sink drain. if so there is nothing like that in the drain line at all
Robert

Hi,

Yep, you can make one or buy one, BUT that definately needs to be in there.

Do that and see if it resolves your problem. What you described is what often happens when there is not a trap in the drainline on downflow systems with a-coil above the blower motor.

If not, then there is more than one problem, but that is definately a problem that can and often does cause that.

Also, be sure drainline is 3/4" .

Thanks,
Robert
donamy

ok
Last edited by donamy on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Hi Donnie,

Please delete this and start a new thread with your questions so as not to mix these up.

Thanks,
Robert