Electric furnace tripping breaker

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

My coleman evcon presidential electric furnace is tripping the 90 amp breaker in my main circuit box. I visually inspected the blower motor and it appears to be fine no discolored windings or burning smell while its running. I also inspected the elements and they looked fine no breaks or areas where they were touching anything else. I have replaced the breaker with a new one and it poped after about the third heating cycle. The breaker warms up while the furnace is on and eventually pops. I can replace the elements or blower motor if someone could tell me how to check either one or tell me which is most likely bad. I have a multi-meter to test any of the electrical parts.

ee
archive

Hi,

Are either of the breakers inside the furnace itself tripping ?

If not, this is possibly a problem within the wiring between the Furnace and the main service panel breaker.

The breakers inside the furnace protect the furnace wiring from short circuits and the breaker in main service panel protects the circuit wiring also as an over-current device.

You would need a Ammeter here to test amperages.

Thanks,
Robert
archive

Thanks for the reply. There are two 60 amp fuses and two 30 amp fuses inside the furnace (one 30 and 60 amp fuse per lead) all four of the fuses are fine. my ammeter only goes up to 10 amps so i can't test the elements.

I'm gonna pick up an ammeter on my way home from work tonight. Which wire do i check on the elements to find the draw of each individual one?

ee
archive

The wire coming from Sequencer to element.

Thanks,
Robert