Answering my own question - furnace goes POP!!

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

loveoldtrux

I looked in the furnace access door and saw the burner target has melted / disintergrated since it was replaced about 10 years ago.

I would imagine this would lead to excessive heat to warm up the panels to hear the loud pop as the panel expands / contracts due to the abnormal amount of heat.

I've a man scheduled to come out and replace it this coming Thursday. Using a mirror to check out the heat-exchanger in the 20 year of furnace, it appears there is a small crack on one corner but not large enough to warrant a furnace replacement at this time. I'll discuss the matter with the gas guy when he comes out.

I've heard of the newer "more efficient" ones on the market, but I'm not sure I can empty out my savings account at this time - looks like my company wants to retire me - have to wait 3 weeks for their thoughts on the matter....
Robert

Hi,

Just remember, all cracks enlarge as the exchanger heats up and expands.

Any HVAC Tech or Gas Co. Tech who sees a cracked Heat Exchanger should red flag it and shut it down.

This is for homeowners safety and for liability concerns.

I understand the finance issue and employment/retirement, but a crack in the exchanger, irregardless of size, is not something to risk.

The size can change drasticly and quickly and can become very unforgiving.

Be careful and wise, stay safe.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?