Furnace Alcove

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Barb P

I guess this is considered decorating. :D
The alcove that my electric furnace is in, has had no front for years.
The furnace has it's own door, but basically it is exposed.

Thing is, if there was a piece of wallboard there, it would have to be removed to take the door off the furnace to change the filter.
The upper part has the grille.

So the question is....what is in front of other people's furnace, to hide it?

Edited for incorrect info in original:
I would like to have the bottom of the front, closed off, so it will look nice.
Koi, I like the shutters. My hubby and I talked about doing that long ago, but how do you get at your filter? Mine is right beneath the grill, behind that dark board, which has to go. The new furnace is taller than the old one.
Last edited by Barb P on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarbP
Yanita

HI Barb,

I am going to move this to Other Questions in the HVAC forums. Our furnaces are tricky when it comes to closing them off. Not being a tech I prefer not to guess as to what to use there.

One you get your answer, come on back and maybe we can make it pretty.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Koiflowers

Our furnace unit was open also. It is in an alcove that contains our washer/dryer and electric panel. The whole area was wide open to the kitchen - no door.

My husband and I installed a louvered door to allow unimpeded air return to the heat system. Also the door is plastic, so the humidity from the washer has no adverse affect on it.

Finished it up with mouldings and it looks 100% better. That was our solution. I'm sure other owners have tackled the problem differently than we did.
Robert

Hi,

Unimpeded airflow isn't the main concern. All furnaces have an exact amount of return airflow that is needed to operate as designed and lessen wear and damage to system.

IF you put anything there, it would have to be fire rated first due to close proximity.

Then, it would have to give the same amount of free air space as the grille if it blocks/covers that.

It cannot be more or less airflow, but must be the same.

Also, sides and top around the furnace and grille should be sealed completely with all air passing through the return.

Koiflowers,

I would find out the free air space of your furnace louvered door and the doors you put up.

If different, I suggest removing and going to something that matches this free air space. Otherwise, you are risking costly repairs, a fire hazard possibly and if anying should occurr, your insurance could be voided due to a modification not being up to code.

Be very careful when it comes to making DIY changes to HVAC and Electrical components.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Thank you Robert.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barb P

Robert, you told me what I needed to know. Thank you.
I would not cover the grille with anything. I want to cover only the bottom half.
I did some sleuthing and realized that I wrongly stated that unfiltered air was getting in the furnace. You answered before I edited.
The furnace is totally closed in, except for the top where the return air goes in.
I can't remember what was in front originally, that's why I asked what others have.
I live near the dealer, maybe I'll go check out what the new ones look like.
BarbP
Robert

You're both very welcome.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Koiflowers

I guess I better clairify. The room as stated houses the washer/dryer/HVAC and is not overly large. The door is not over the heating unit. It is installed as the entrance door to the room. The door we installed is fully louvered top to bottom, with air return space under the door. I don't believe it impedes the airflow in anyway.

I apologize if the picture of the door led anyone to believe the door was over the opening to the heating unit. She stated her unit was in an alcove which I interpreted to mean a small room, like ours.
Robert

Hi Koiflowers,

I understood what you had as opposed to hers. The louvers on furnace door gives a precise amount of free air space.

ANY door, be it to alcove or laundry room, must allow through the louvers and underneath the door that same amount of free air space.

If not, you starve the unit of needed air and create potential problems with unit.

Yours is most likely ok, but my post was as a general rule for anyone else and for you if needed.

In rereading my post, it didn't get worded as I wanted in that too much air is not a likelihood as that is less and not totally open as before.

The thing too watch for is too little air restricting the amount that reaches the grille.

Just something that needs to be measured and precise, not a guesstimate as it will quickly become an unwanted and costly repair irregardless of the best intentions.

Just be wise, be careful and if not absolutely sure when undertaking HVAC and Electrical modifications, ask away.

Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koiflowers

Thanks Robert:

Actually your reference to a fire-rated door did make me question the advisability of the manufacturer placing a gas heating unit at a right angle to and literally inches from the washing machine, since I pile the clothes up in front of the washing machine (and therefore in front of the metal panel over the heating unit) until I'm ready to wash. Then that thought made me wonder if keeping all kinds of the usual cleaning chemicals around gas pilot lights was advisable. There's a lot of air exchange in there with the louvered doors, so I'm not very worried, just wondering what you thought about the setup.
Robert

You're very welcome .

If the furnace gets hot anywhere, it shouldn't or there is a spark, probably ok with location.

May want to move clothes over somewhat just in case.

Now the chemicals, that's another matter. Any flammable chemical which has fumes should not be in same area as a gas fired appliance.

Use caution when opening those and allowing fumes in air with a pilot lit.

That set-up probably wasn't invented/designed by brightest buld on the tree.

Robert