Water Heater pilot

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

AlaskaWes

I have a problem with my pilot light going out on my water heater when the winds kick up. Everything on the roof looks to be in order (vent covers etc.) I was wondering if anyone has a better way to keep this from happening? Is there anything I can add on or a better product?
hvac1000

If a downdraft from the vent going thru the roof is causing this problem something is wrong with the vent system.
Has this just started?
Your pilot orifice might be partially plugged causing a short or insufficient flame.
Does your water heater have enough combustion air for it to burn well when lit with no dirty flames etc?
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
AlaskaWes

It has done this since we bought the home. Usually when the winds go 40-80MPH. Is there a way to test the pilot orifice or check for combution air?
hvac1000

There is really no test for the pilot orifice it is perfectly clean or is partially restricted. You have to take it apart to check this.

Combustion air is the air that is burnt by the gas flame in the water heater. it takes a lot of air to burn clean and with no problems. You will notice somewhere around the heater there will Be a vent for outside air.

That is some pretty windy conditions. Have you had a professional look at this specific problem? They should be able to find the problem if they are knowledgeable.

The pilot size might have to be increased a bit or more comb air or a better vent system going thru the roof or a better vent cap to prevent the wind from causing the problem.
AlaskaWes

I think the ventilation in good given the access door is off and the heater is exposed (in a closet). How would you increase the pilot size? is it hard to take it apart to know if its being restricted?
hvac1000

You might be better off letting a professional check out your water heater problem.
AlaskaWes

I think you are right. Thank you for your help.