Mobile Home Fireplace

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

browningthree

My husband and I want to take out our fireplace in our mobile home. Has anyone done this before? Would anyone recommend this? It takes up one wall and offsets the entertainment center on the wall. We live in the south so would never use it. Also it makes furniture arrangements limited. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! Michelle

PS We live in a 2004 double-wide...if that is helpful.
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to move this to the HVAC (Heating, Venting &AC) forum.

Please follow me there.

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
hvac1000

Sure you can take it out. Make sure you terminate the propane or natural gas connections properly and I do not mean burring them in the wall space. The lines have to be removed from the interior of the home. It could be as easy as getting under the home and disconnecting the gas line off the tee and caping or in the case of copper flare tubing getting a flare plug. Much safer not to have that line in the home if not in use. No body wants a dead end gas line in a wall just in case it starts to leak. Also when it is in a wall area it cannot be inspected periodically.

Finish off the wall with standard construction methods and do not forget to insulate and seal off the area.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
browningthree

Well the fireplace we have is actually a wood burning one. Do we still need to do the same thing? I know there will be a hole in the ceiling because of the flue? ( I think that is spelled wrong but you get the drift)
Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
hvac1000

I just figured it was a gas one. All the factory fireplaces around here are gas. Scratch what you were told before about gas.

You can just remove the unit and patch the hole in the roof. There are many ways to patch a hole in the roof. usually most homes around here are of a metal roof construction. I would obtain a piece of aluminum a bit larger than the hole. Use a good sealer and seal around the hole then place the metal on top of the sealer.
I hate screw holes in a roof but if possible I would try and put a few around the metal to anchor it in place. A good quality sealer will actually hold the metal down once it is cured.

There is a lot of information on this site about roofs and patching them and I would suggest you read some of the posts. You can do a search for roofs.

Once that is done and it has rained a few times to check for leaks then I would patch the ceiling. By allowing the ceiling to be open for a short period of time you can see up there with lite to check for leaks in the roof patch jod you did..
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
browningthree

Thanks! This information is very helpful. I think my husband wants to put a tubular skylight there but I am unsure of it right at this point. I know that we will be putting on in our bathroom but that is another forum and I will ask my questions on there. Thanks so much you don't know how helpful you have been! :lol:
Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.