Do I have AC?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Hello everyone I have a question about my furnace. It's a Evcon. Can someone tell me what the cool setting on my thermostat is for. It has 2 settings heat and cool.Does that mean it's a heater plus air conditioner?

thanks for the help

Brad
archive

Hi Brad,

That IS for A/C, but ONLY if you have A/C also.

Do you have a Condenser Unit sitting outside ?

Remove Furnace door panels, do you see an A shaped Coil with 2 copper pipes going to it (1 large and insulated, 1 smaller) ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

The item Robert is talking about is outside and about 2 feet from the home. It is the outside condensing unit. Usually about 24x30x30 inches in size with electric and copper lines running to it.
archive

The Condenser Unit (Compressor, Condenser Fan Motor, Control Components) is outside as HVAC1000 stated.

The item that would possibly be inside at Furnace is an A shaped Evaporator Coil.

IF you have A/C, you will have an outside Condenser Unit.

The two copper refrigerant lines I spoke of (1 large and 1 small) run from Condenser to indoor Evaporator Coil.

The link below shows a pic at beginning of Article of an outside Condenser Unit and below those are pics of A-Coil.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ioner.html

Thanks,
Robert
archive

The furnace in the pic looks just like mine. The area where the a coil is located in the pic is covered up on my furnace so maybe i do have a/c.

One last question. Does the a/c in a mobile home furnace kick on just by turning the thermostat to cool?

Sorry for all the questions I'm rather new to mobile homes. This is my first winter in one and wasn't sure.
Thanks for all your help.

Brad
archive

IF you have A/C and you switch t-stat to Cool, the Furnace Blower AND outside Condenser will come on if the t-stat is set low enough to call for cooling.

As stated previously, walk around your home, if you have a/c, you'll see a Condenser Unit similar to pic about 18" - 24" from home.

There will be two copper lines, one larger than other with insulation. They will be connected at Condenser.

They'll run from there through the skirting, over to Furnace area, up through belly area and come to the A-Coil above or below your furnace.

IF you have A/C, these things will be present.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert