Thermostat Concern

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

hi! robert & greg. its me again. got my refund check finally. the old thermostat we were talking about in my old post that went bad. its the style that only has a one sw. on it. a heat, cool, & off option selection. the other sw. that is inside the intertherm unit is the on, off, & auto selection.

In the shematic i see there is a way to bypass the inside sw. so i can wire the new one in. its called a jumper wire. thats where i get confused. i'm going to buy a new one, preferably a nonprogramable digital type. don't know which one to buy. the old thermostat has 5 wires going into it. 2 wires for the heat & 3 wires for the a/c. remember i sent some pics of the thermostat schematic from a website. its a single stage type. to me its a little complicated but was hoping you could help me wire in my new one when i get the right one. thats where you come in to play. you should still have my model # somewhere in my earlier post under intertherm correct wiring needed post. the post was back on Nov.12th 2006. thanks for any help you can give me.
archive

Are you talking about a jumper wire inside the new t-stat or at the furnace ?

The t-stat you need will depend on current wiring and which a/c control box you have.

You should really get a Tech to do this for you. IF you miswire or cross up the wires, you'll blow your low voltage circuit and have a costly repair to correct it.

Your new t-stat will have to match up with current wiring configuration or you will have to rewire to get what you want.

If Digital, get a battery operated one.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

thanks robert!
archive

Hi,

You're very welcome. It isn't real hard, but then I've been doing it over 27 years.

I've seen many people miswire or cross-wire and end up with a repair more costly than a service call from start would have been.

Knowing exactly what is there now is the key to getting correct t-stat and the determining factor in how to wire it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert