trunk line

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

feeble13

Ok. I've been in my manufactured home for about 8 months. It's a 1996 Palm Harbor double wide. The previous owner had the air condensor replaced. And shortly after moving in I noticed that my bedroom and master bath have really weak air flow. The rooms are on the same line as the air handler. As you go from the air handler to my room, the register flow gets weaker and weaker. Everything on the other line flows great. One thing I found was a large hole near the incoming lines from the condenser to the a-coil. The ducts are made of some sort of rigid insulation with a silver coating. I put some sheet metal and mastic over the hole and it seems to be fine. But the air flow to my room is still pretty sad.

I took a picture from inside the duct pointing towards where the air handler is connected. It seems the duct is around 4 inches inside the line. I think most of the air is getting pushed to the other side of the home because of this. I'll have to include a pic for this to make sense.

Also the trunk line is a rigid line with no insulation. This does not seem right. And the worst part is that part of it is sitting on the ground. Again, that seems wrong.

I am curious what my options are. I am sure I have some mold in the ducts due to the condensation that has built up in the trunk line. I'd like to fix this sooner than later.

I feel a like a multizine ductless system would be better in a manufactured home. I relaize it is a little costly, but I think it would be less of a head ache. I will upload pictures soon.
feeble13

Last edited by feeble13 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
feeble13

and here is the trunk line.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6kX5U ... sp=sharing

There is also condensation on the ground from the drip line just hanging. I need to get some pvc and run it out from under the skirting. The joys of manufactured homes. :)
Last edited by feeble13 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Since you know you have leaks, I would look at replacing the ducts and know there are no leaks. Mobiles are not known for their high quality in ducts, usually slightly more than heavy tin foil.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
feeble13

I am not sure how I would even go about doing that. I am not an HVAC person, so I would not know how to size the ducts.

I do have one question. I have skirting, so the underbelly is vented. Living in Houston, there is a lot of moisture. I have seen that the trunk line condensates. I am curious if anyone has a suggestion on an insulation I could use to wrap the trunk. It's a 12" diameter trunk. My concern is that if I wrap it, and it condensates between the duct and the insulation, I will have a nice mold problem.
HouseMedic

If you use a good duct wrap to wrap the duct it should keep any moister from getting to the duct so it will not get wet from condensation.

Ron
feeble13

HouseMedic wrote:If you use a good duct wrap to wrap the duct it should keep any moister from getting to the duct so it will not get wet from condensation.

Ron
@HouseMedic I am considering buying a 12" diameter insulated flex duct, and cutting it length wise, then wrapping the duct and taping it. I think that may be the easiest solution. Thoughts?