Floor registers

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mirabella69

I went ahead and installed a gas log stove last year ....been using it alot lately...when it dawned on me that the area around my ankles seemed to be cold air....?? so I checked my floor registers and that's where the cold air was pouring in...in other words when my gas log stove is on, my furnace is not...so the vents are filled with cold air...."wonderful" !
A couple of my registers are unusual sizes that don't seem to comply with standard sizes I've viewed online...anyone know of where I can get custom registers made? is this my only option ?
I would like to be able to close the registers when my main furnace is not running...therefore eliminating the cold drafts around my feet and eventually into the rest of the air...In the meantime, i have covered those registers with thick towels ...which of course will be removed as soon as I have my furnace running which is always at night time...
Thanks for any help !!
ponch37300

Can you take a register out and measure the duct opening? Most either just sit in the opening or have two screws that hold them down. If you take one out you can measure the actual size of the opening and see if there is something that will fit. We replaced ours with ones form menards and lowes.
mirabella69

Thank you for the suggestion ! I can remove the registers and will measure the opening to see if something else might fit....good idea !
Greg

if you can find some magnetic vinyl (like refrigerator magnets) , just cut it so size and stick it over the register.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."