Goodman A/C Compressor (CK42-1C) not working

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

netspook

I'm sure this has been asked a million times in a million ways, but I'm ignorant on the subject and need to ask it one more way.

We noticed that the AC stopped cooling this afternoon. I checked everything inside, then went outside and checked the breaker and shutoff switch. I leaned over towards the compressor and noticed the heat coming off the top, put my hand on it and quickly recoiled...super hot. It was not making any noise, just hot. I flipped the switch and let it cool down. After an hour I came back out and turned the switch back on. I immediately heard a motor noise like it was trying to start up, but the fan never moved. I cut the switch back off. I checked the fan blade with a coat hanger and it turns smoothly with no noise or indication of resistance.

My Internet searching led me to believe that it might be a bad capacitor. I removed the run capacitor, but I only have a cheap digital multimeter with no capacitance testing. I seem to recall one potential problem being the start capacitor...malfunctioning, then motor heating while trying to start. I initially thought the run capacitor WAS the start capacitor until I looked a little closer. The start capacitor is not outside of the box with the run. I did see a black box inside mounted on the motor that has three wires going to it. Is that the start capacitor?

Is there anything in my recollection that would lead you to believe it is a capacitor over the motor burnt out? I can almost replace both capacitors for the cost of a meter to check them. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot without testing or replacing the capacitors?

I'm new to the site and need all the help I can get, so please be gentle. I've probably got a few more coming.
jpingram5

Replace both the start and run capacitor. It might run you like $20 maybe. Sounds like like the compressor is coming on but the fan isn't kicking in which commonly would be a capacitor unless the fan motor itself is shot. But I'd go with the caps first before that as a starting point.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
netspook

Again with my ignorance...is a dual-run capacitor a run and start capacitor in one or is it a run capacitor for both fan and compressor? Is there still a separate start capacitor that I need to get. I was able to get the 40/5/440 ordered for under $12 with free 2 day shipping.
jpingram5

The fan should come off of there but however some of them do have their own separate cap sometimes. If you can, snap a photo or two of the service access so we can see a little better what you have going on. There's usually a wire diagram inside on the service door. But if it's pretty old it likely faded away.

What I mean is if it's a "Dual" Capacitor then it's doing both the Compressor & Fan.
netspook

Looks like the diagram is too wide for the site. If you right click and view image, it should pull up the full image.

I took the top off of the unit...didn't realize the motor was mounted to the top. There are 3 wires running from the motor to the service panel. There is a black box mounted to the tower in the bottom (is that the condenser?) that also has three wires running from it.

jpingram5

That black box thing in the picture is your "Contactor"if that's what you were asking. Yes, you ordered the right part it is a dual cap.
netspook

I was actually wondering about this one...circled in yellow in the photo.

jpingram5

Thats just a terminal box for the compressor which is what that little box is attached too. Wire terminals for the compressor.
netspook

Capacitor arrived this morning. Installed it and everything is working perfectly! Thanks for your help. Now that I've taken things apart and know what they are, I'll be set if anything else comes up.