I am haveing a problem with my furnace. It works intermetent

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

stephenrichards

ITS A MIMC077ABW M1 SERIES, THE FURNACE WORKS INTERMITENTLY, FIRES UP AND RUNs FINE,BUT SOME TIMES IT WILL FAIL TO START. ORANGE LIGHT FLASHES 4 TIMES,INDECATING

A FAIL TO START CODE. HERE ARE THE THINGS I HAVE DONE TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM.
1 REPLACED THE IGNIGHTER/FLAME SENSOR SP- ROLL TYPE/ HELPED DID NOT CURE THE PROBLEM
2 REPLACED THE CONTROLER BOARD . HELPED BUT HEATER WILL NOT COME ON UNLESS I RESET
3 THERMOST/MADE NO DIFFERANCE WHEN I RESET THE CONRROLER IT WORKS FINE . BUT AFTER ITS OFF SAY 3 HRS IT MAY OR MAY NOT COME ON. I ALSO CHECKED ALL WIRING CONNECTIONS ALL HAVE TIGHT CONNECTIONS. NOT MUCH LEFT TO REPLACE
A THIS RATE I WILL REPLACE THE TRANSFORMER 120V 24V ,AND THE 2 HEAT
LIMIT SWITCHES/ AND THE GAS CONRTOLER IF I HAVE TOO WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT

thanks need help which should do next
Steve-WA

Not a furnace guy, and but my troubleshooting tree goes like this

Pop cover off of tstat, cross red & white wires. If furnace comes on, and bad tstat. If it doesn't come in within a minute, bad furnace. Beyond that, I only do electric
UmpJJ

This is an easy one. Call a furnace guy. With all the things you've already checked he should find the problem in short order.

UmpJJ
Greg

Let's get this moved to the heating section, Perhaps someone over there will have some ideas.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Are you able to actually watch and see what is happening? I'm far from a furnace guy but I was having an intermittent problem a couple years back. My furnace would start but fail to fully fire and blow could air about half the times. Ended up being the flame sensor. Took me months to trouble shoot and actually be able to catch the problem when it happened. I kept the cover off so when the problem occured I could run to the furnace and try and see what was going on. Since I'm not a furnace guy I don't know about your furnace but on mine the blower comes on, then a pressure switch opens or closes(don't remember which), then the flame comes on and the flame sensor has to read the flame and then it will kick in full blast. I may be off a little on some of this but it's how I remember mine working and I'm sure all furnaces are different so yours may not work like this. But it's some things to check.

Here's some good articles on this site about furnace trouble shooting, http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac.html
DaleM

Intermittent operation problems are hard to track down. A couple things first. Is this burning natural or propane gas? Is there an air conditioner operated by the same thermostat? What action are you taking when you RESET the furnace?
jpingram5

Have you been using a meter to see where or where not you have voltage?

At the gas valve, place 1 meter lead on one of the wires/terminal and the other meter lead on the other wire/terminal. Set your thermostat to call for heat and then check to see if you are getting 24v there. If you are getting 24v across the 2 wires and it's not flowing gas try tapping on it lightly with a wrench or screw driver and if it fires up. If it does or doesn't then it's the valve. If you have don't have 24v then you need to start back tracking from there.

You can replace everything before you get to the valve if you wish but gas valves tend to be on the pricey side. You need to get a meter out if you haven't already and start looking for where you are loosing voltage. It's kinda like shooting in the dark for now until so.

Look at this link for you furnace. It has trouble shooting and a good wiring breakdown to help guide you.

http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/690a.pdf

Page 35 shows you the wiring breakdown.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
jpingram5

Just realized this is and old thread brought back to life by some spammer. Lol, hope you got your problem solved!
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80