Furnace Gas Valve Problem

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sndmn2

I have a Duo Therm Furnace. Model # 76003-1 Serial # 05774. Anyways the furnace will light. The pilot stays on and it will heat up and blow when called for. Problem is this: Not only will the pilot stay lit but so will the main gas supply. So it looks like two pilot lights are on. On small( the pilot) and one larger (the main gas supply line). It doesn't roar like when the furnace calls for heat but it does not turn off when the room reaches temperature. If I have the furnace set at pilot all is normal. Once I turn the furnace to the on position the main gas supply line lights up no matter the thermostat position. It has a Unitrol gas valve. What are chances of finding a replacement for this 40 year old valve assembly if needed? Thoughts ? Thanks.
DaleM

A gas valve for that unit hasn't been available for many years. Sad to say it's time to replace the entire furnace.
sndmn2

DaleM wrote:A gas valve for that unit hasn't been available for many years. Sad to say it's time to replace the entire furnace.
O.K. Thanks.. Is there an after market valve company or is it just to old ? Can these valves be rebuilt or repaired ?
DaleM

No rebuilding or repairs on any gas valves. I've never seen a decent replacement for them.